We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Kenya

NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Kenya

We are Americans travelling to Kenya. I know we have the option of applying for the visa in advance (which can take several weeks), or getting it upon landing at the airport in Kenya. The process for getting it in advance seems like a hassle and it seems easier to just do it when we get to Kenya. But if getting it in Kenya means waiting on line for hours, then perhaps it's worth the effort to do it in advance.

Anyone have any experience doing it at the airport? Were there long lines and delays if you had not done it in advance?

Thanks for the advice!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Kenya

You won't wait for hrs. Most here will probably say 30-45 minutes, which has been my experience. You'd spend that time waiting for baggage. Cheaper (no need for photos or express mail) and less stressful (no worries about passports lost in mail) to get it on arrival.

NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Kenya

Excellent! Thanks so much for the prompt reply!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Kenya

Even if having obtained Visa prior departure, the queue for those individuals may be as long or take as much time to get thru as those who have to purchase.

For purchase on-site the agent does take photos and fingerprints of individuals applying. Be sure to have correct amount due as agents to not make change.

See that you live in NJ, but not where. Know that there is a Kenyan Consular office in Manhattan that can issue Visas. Located across the street from the UN building. No need to send to Wash, DC.

Many who live or work in Manhattan often will obtain prior travel. Hours for drop off is morning, but you will require photos; pick-up that afternoon or following morning or for a small fee wait. As procedures changes, best to call their office for specifics if you'd prefer to go this route.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 18:40
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Kenya

I've been through Immigration many times, the vast majority of times I have obtained a visa on arrival, a couple of times I already had one, and I can't remember a time when I did not get through before my bags were on the carousel.

If the queues for visas on arrival are very bad they usually start to manage / balance the queues and route people to the desks that have smaller queues (there are desks for people without visas, for people with visas, for East African Community citizens, and for Kenyan citizens).

I came through a few weeks ago and the queues for visas and people with visas were quite long so I was routed to the EAC desk, and as usual I was at the carousel before my bags were.

You can speed the process a little by filling the form out before you get there, either print one off (see FAQ on the right) or fill it out on the plane if they hand the forms out., then you can go straight onto the queue and avoid the scrabble for forms, pens and somewhere to write in the hall.

(It tickles me when people from the US are concerned about the Immigration process in Kenya, it's a walk in the park compared to US immigration)

5. Re: Visa for Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16