We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

Alness, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

We're heading to Kenya on the Domak Cheetah Safari at the start of June, which involves staying at various lodges and camps at various national parks.

Meals are included within our holiday price but obviously costs of drinks etc won't be.

Anyone know what sort of price drinks are in these places.

Soft drinks, Alcoholic and bottled water as I believe the camps can provide these fir following day safaris

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

Just a general comment that I've always found beverages reasonably priced at the many camps I've stayed at. I fretted at first that I would be charged sporting arena prices (say $9 or so for a beer) but the camp prices never approached anything like that. I've never had occasion to say to myself, "Man, that was steep."

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

You are probably looking at paying somewhere around 200/- for a soda, 300/- for a beer, 400/- for a single spirit and 500/- for a glass of wine. (The £ has been between 140 and 145 shillings for the last few weeks.)

Most lodges and camps will let you run a tab against your room / tent and settle it with a credit card before you leave.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

Also I would suggest that on your way to the parks, stop off at a local supermarket and pick up drinking water. Most lodges and camps charge more for water then they do beer.

Alness, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

Thanks for the replies.

Prices seem pretty much similar to they are here then.

What's the protocol for evening wear at these places? Is it expected that you get dressed up for meals, or just as you come?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

There really is no protocol for evenings. Depending on weather, I have gone to dinner in shorts, or cargo pants. Tshirt and jumper. Might be wise to cover up in case of mosquitos.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

No protocol as above when it comes to attire, but as mossie biting time is from dusk to dawn, strongly suggested long pants/sleeves, also sock. Use repellent on exposed skin but not face or back of neck and wash off before retiring.

As regards beverage prices, I consider what I'd pay for here in NYC and find whatever charged while on safari I'm ahead of the game as bill is less.

7. Re: Lodge / Camp : Drink Costs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:16