We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nirobi airport security

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nirobi airport security

I have booked a safari vacation in August. I will arrive at Mount Kilimanjaro airport and depart from Nirobi. To all of the Kenya destination experts, what is your opinion on the safety of travel in Kenya and Tanzania in light of the recent bombings in Nirobi? Should I cancell my trip? Is the airport in Nirobi considered safe? Do you think there is enough security at the airport?

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Malik Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nirobi airport security

An incident, regardless the horror... know that we here in the US have street riots (Los Angeles is known for them), shoot outs at military bases, children shot down at schools, others at movie theatres, houses of worship and almost a bomb at Times Square. Did our own citizens or tourists cancel their travel plans? Doubt it!

Neither should you.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nirobi airport security

Yes you are right. The events you site are terrible acts of mentally ill individuals. The events in Kenya are not individuals. The violence is promoted by an ideology of hate that is spreading like a cancer.

My question was about security and safety at the Nairobi airport. A place where many tourists will be. It would be nice to know that extra caution is in place.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nirobi airport security

As events speed up it is getting harder to predict safety in the future. Transiting through Nairobi is safe enough today but I don't think anyone can predict what it will be like in August. Best to keep your options open as long as possible and check the news and advisories often.

If you are just in Kenya to do a land connection between Kilimanjaro and Nairobi you can always buy a one-way air ticket later on.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nirobi airport security

Security at Nairobi airport is probably the most thorough which I have experienced. To make sure that you catch your flight please make sure that you arrive at least 3 hours before your flight departure & be prepared for you & your baggage to be checked on several occasions.

5. Re: Nirobi airport security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:17