We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

I would really appreciate some advice on the state of Kenya's tourist industry as we're supposed to be going there for our honeymoon in September. We're staying at a hotel on Diani beach stopping over in Nairobi. We're also going to the Masai Mara. Is it safe to go?

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

its as safe as anywhere else on the world

just check your travel insurance is valid

Mold, North Wales
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Have a look at the Tripadvisor report dated a couple of days ago entitled :-

Do not worry about going on safari in Kenya!! Trip report

04 June 2014, 13:28

This may help you make up your mind. I personally hope you do not cancel as it is a wonderful country with wonderful people and amazing wildlife.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

For me, life goes on as normal in Nairobi. You will have a great time so please come to Kenya.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

I'm going on my honeymoon in August

A few days in Nairobi then safari in Mara and then to the coast ( watamu). This will be my third trip to Kenya since 2012 first time on the coast. Don't cancel just don't go to mombasa

What's your honeymoon itinerary?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Meaning wht hotels and safari u doing budget/ luxury? Nairobi city sights? Is this your first trip?

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Article in the Nation on Watamu.....

nation.co.ke/news/…

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Thanks for flagging that up Tembofan - a much more reflective and interesting article than the usual Nation stuff. And today Jonathan Scott's piece about Kenya has been published in the Telegraph, with a bit by Brian Jackman, setting the context:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africaan…

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

Llandeilo, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

We were due to fly out to Kenya for an extensive safari in early January 2008. Unfortunately for us, the election 'troubles' erupted and the foreign office advised against all but essential travel to all areas of the country. Unperturbed, we waited hour by hour, day by day, for the advice to be rescinded. We had travelled to Kenya on previous occasions and were confident that our destinations were going to be safe (meru/Masai/Mombasa). We discussed options with our UK based agent for CHELI and peacock. So, we cancelled our first night in Nairobi, arranged to be transferred straight to Wilson for a flight to Meru from the international airport and the same for our return. We then discovered, which I know other posters have covered, that the FCO travel advice meant that our travel insurance would be nil and void for ANY problem, not just issues associated with the unrest. We searched for alternative insurance, knowing that we would not be covered for the troubles, but at the time none was easily available. With heavy hearts, we cancelled 24 hours pre departure.

If I had known then, what I know now about some expensive but suitable insurance policies, we would have gone. To this day, although we have since returned to Kenya, I regret that we did not go.

Yes, you have to balance the risks and I do not think I would travel with children. If you are not travelling to the FCO high risk area, your insurance should cover you but best to contact them and check (get confirmation in writing or email).

We were insured at the time with Churchill. BA refunded our flights immediately due to the FCO advice, Churchill re-paid our full holiday costs, which we could not claim back from the accommodation/transportation company due to contract. If the FCO advice had not been to refrain from travelling to Kenya (full stop), we would have not been entitled automatically to all the monies (although I have to say that the insurance company were really helpful).

This year we are travelling once again to South Africa, where we will be self driving and staying in Cape Town etc... If you read the news/threads you will probably see that the rate of violent crime in the areas we will be visiting are far higher than the expectancy of being caught up in Kenya in trouble (outside of the high risk areas). This is Africa, just as you would not travel to certain areas of British cities, after dark or otherwise, you have to be cautious and careful. In the main, unless you are unlucky, you will be safe, if keeping within common sense boundaries. The unexpected could happen but that is the risk.

I hope British tourists will continue to visit our friends in Kenya, as it is they who will be suffering from loss of revenue once again, with the consequent hardships. If we had not already booked South Africa, I would now be looking to once again visit Kenya.

I completely understand people's anxieties, especially as the news indicates that tourists are likely to be targeted. But please, look at the size of the country and the areas you plan to travel to before making any decisions

Thayu

HB

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Our itinerary is Nairobi (1 night), Diani Beach via Mombasa airport) and then the Masai Mara and back to Nairobi (1 night). What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts by the way!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon to Kenya in September - should we cancel?

Thank you all for your advice!