We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Carey Eaton's murder in Nairobi last week was big news in Australian media including TV. Following the killing of 'Mountain Bull' last month near Mt Kenya, today i read... in news all over the net including a feature article in the 'South China Morning Post'... of another famous elephant's death from poaching... namely 'Satoa' in Tsavo NP! Very sad and frustrating.

The senseless killing in Kenya of both innocent people and innocent elephants is making big news (as it should) around the world. Elephants are being seriously threatened.

My query, especially to residents and safari operators based in Kenya is: Are these killings making headlines in Kenyan press, and is the Kenyan government taking the issue very seriously? I sincerely hope it is because the news is hammering Kenya's reputation and if tourism flounders it virtually ensures the resources to fight poaching will be not be forthcoming. If yr own govt doesn't care enough, visitors will make their own decisions.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Lots of headlines, no meaningful action. Today, for example, Kenya's top politicians are wasting their energy blaming each others' parties for the massacre rather than doing something about it. Kenya's security minister, Joseph ole Lenku, is using the massacre as an excuse to lash out at his enemy, the opposition leader Raila Odinga. Fiddling while Rome burns.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

"Fiddling while Rome burns'!! I was fearful this was the case. Just read (since my OP) that in Kenya 'conservationists warn that elephant poaching is at LEAST 10x the official figures'!! This is truly scary stuff. They are burying the truth rather than tackling the dire threat to yr country's greatest asset. 25 yrs ago a 'Kenya without tuskers' was inconceivable! Time is of essence.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindi…

Edited: 16 June 2014, 17:52
uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

i dont think anyone takes anything seriously unless its to line there own pockets sad but true and it starts at the top and filters down

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

I've just watched the Kenyan President's speech and at least seen his reaction. Situation complicated to say the least.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

When the president blames the opposition leader for someone else's terrorism, it is a total victory for the terrorists. Al-Shabaab must be scratching their heads as they wonder how they get away with this so easily. Two massacres and it looks like not one terrorist was killed or captured. I just saw a news photo that showed some Kenyan police guarding a parking lot of burnt vehicles. They should be deployed in the search instead of lounging on a porch. But that's Kenya.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Kenyans couldn't care less sadly, life is so cheap here you would not believe it.

As said above,

it is only the "pocket" that matters.

The leaders are pretty clueless.

The Police are useless.

Take your holidays someplace else and come here in the future when hopefully all is calm and back to normality.

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Malla, I have to disagree and your comments make me wonder how many Kenyans you really know. We lost a family member in the Mpeketon killings and the outpouring of condolences and grief is ample evidence that Kenyans do care.........very much. There is actually a great sadness at this massacre. Far from not caring, Kenyans are bothered about security and at a community level, each other. I don't live amongst expats and we have a great sense of family and community that is very much lacking in the UK - does that strike you as 'life is cheap'?

I think that you are mistaking the attitudes of Kenyans to the actions and politicking of the government, who seem far more worried about the return to Kenya, of the opposition leader.

I realise that this is your personal opinion and like all of us, you are entitlled to express it. Surely, though, if Kenya is a bad as you say, why do you continue to live there - you must gain something from it.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

I want to re-emphasise to TO operators in Kenya that news of Satoa's horrible agonising death is spread right across the globe. Combined with 2 weeks of terrorist activity and Kenya tourism (from where i sit here in CT) is not far from looking into the abyss. Facebook alone ensures this stuff spreads exponentially. The internet ensures it is useless to try and sweep stuff under the carpet. BUT imo it (the internet) is yr best weapon in fight against poachers.

Can TO's in Kenya and abroad use Satoa's death as a rallying point to FORCE a complete rethink at highest level in Kenyan govt? Surely they (Kenyan govt) can see coastal resorts/bars are closing and the damage is serious. Although safaris are hundred's of kms from coast i suspect they are suffering too. Hoping it will all be a temporary blip is not going to work.

Perhaps if outrage (using net and media as yr tool) re the impotent strategy currently being used against poachers can gather steam... it will leave yr President and Ministers with no option but to get real. Let Satoa not die in vain.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Readers/potential visitors need to believe Kenya cares about its national symbol. There is scant evidence of that atm. Give them GENUINE hope and many will come knowing their tourist dollar is ultimately the best strategy to ensure elephants numbers are sustained. There is plenty goodwill towards Kenya out there amongst potential visitors... but also a growing sense of frustration that nothing is being achieved despite all the talk and donor money.

Yet another conference won't convince anybody. Arrests followed by harsh penalties is the only message that carries any validity. It's already too late for many countries outside of E. Africa. The statistics are horrific.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is reaction in Kenya to these killings?

Kenyans are of mixed reactions concerning the killings. They dont care much, life moves on. Regards, Peter Oluoch, http://dvcaf.uonbi.ac.ke