We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

nation.co.ke/counties/…index.html

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

A joke if it was not so serious. So 70% capacity is good?

I suppose they have to talk things up a bit.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Mfuwe - Mara is *selling* despite the recent incidents. It's not media propaganda.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

So filling to 70% capacity is considered good in peak season? I have no Axe to grind and do worry about Kenya's position but that article was inaccurate rubbish!

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

The article is not inaccurate, we have camps in Mara and yes we are busy besides the travel advisories is not touching on Mara, Samburu etc.. The UK High Commissioner himself has stated Mara is safe so what else do you want to happen.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Like I said I have no Axe to grind but the article is pure conjecture. Things have not happened, It is forecast to maybe happen. It is hype!

<<The forecast for tourist bookings for the Mara looks good at the moment in the wake of the wildebeest migration,” he said.>> A wake trails behind it does not precede it.

<<“We hope that the authorities will intensify security in the Mara >> Hope

<<a German holidays airliner Condor is expected to increase flights to Mombasa next month.>> "Expected!

<<Ms Solanki noted that Condor would increase weekly flights from Germany to Mombasa from two to three times.>> A weekly flight is once every seven days. Two is twice weekly, three is thrice!

Nobody mentioned Travel Advisories and I am sure the MM is safe. That rather misses the point that the article is rubbish! If Kenya thinks that a few 100 tourists in Hot air Balloons is their salvation I feel sorry to have to say it won't.

I perhaps should add that my friends, family and I are coming to Kenya later this year and are not put off by the current problems but this sort of 'article' is misleading the Kenyan reader into thinking all is well.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 14:24
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Perhaps Monica Solanki (regular TA contributor) would like to comment? Monica, come on…

But honestly, mfuwe, you need to get out more. I really don't think this is such terrible journalism. Mathias Ringa regularly reports on tourism for the Nation, and Mohamed Hersi, quoted at the top, is a fireball for Kenyan tourism industry concerns - both supportive, and when necessary aggressive, especially against poor PR, poor governance, corruption and lack of transparency.

Unusually for the Nation, I really think it's quite balanced - neither hyping up nor casting doom and despondency, Of course numbers are up in the Mara (in the wake of the first wildies over the border!). But he does point out that things are not great on the coast.

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Thank you Yankari.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Maybe I should stay in more Richard.

My point is that these are not facts but pure conjecture in a poorly constructed piece of writing. I wonder who it is the authors are trying to reassure?

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

Mfuwe they are reassuring a would be visitor who is worried in visiting Masai Mara with all the advisories. Both UK and US Embassies have made it clear that Mara is not in the no go zone area. The forecast occupancies are pure facts.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More tourists to witness Mara’s wildebeest migration

I don't think there's anything conjectural about the piece. It's saying that there's about to be a big rise in occupancy levels in the Mara. Hardly shocking, it's migration season. He's not even saying they're going to be full. Condor is expected to run its normal high season service I believe - so that's an increase, as expected. I can't see any real problem with this piece. The word "soar" isn't helping to convince you, I'm sure. But to be fair even the headline is just saying it as it is. And the comments about the coast are bleak.

No, the more I look at it, the less it looks like typical Nation sensationalism and the more like proper journalism. As I said, Mathias Ringa is a regular writer on the Nation and often does good, investigative pieces. There's nothing earth-shattering about this, but it does serve to remind Kenyans in the current dire economic circumstances, that things could be even worse…

Richard Trillo

The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager at Expert Africa