We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya safari itinerary

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya safari itinerary

We are a group of 4, all aged around 60yrs. We plan to go on Safari, using Safari Van, in 1st week of August. Our plan is as under-

Day 1- Fly in from India to Nairobi- city tour in the aftnoon and overnight at nairobi.

Day 2- After breakfast transfer to Samburu sopa lodge.

Day 3- Samburu.

Day 4- Aft BF, transfer to Sweetwaters safari camp.

Day 5- Aft BF, transfer to Nakuru Lodge

Day 6- Aft BF, transfer to Mara Sarova Lodge

Day 7 & 8 Mara

Day 9 Aft BF, transfer to Nairobi airport for evening flight to India.

We have following questions-

1. will this road travel will be too much for us?

2. should we use Safari Van or 4X4 vehicle?

3. Do you think going to Samburu is worth in terms of different type of game viewing?

4. Is our choice of lodges OK...from location point of view?

We have yet to do bookings and can change our program.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

We did ten days early this year. Did not venture as far north as Samburu., but did go to Nakuru and Masai. We saw all that we wanted in those two reserves. I know there are different type of giraffes and such up north, but roads are pretty slow all around Kenya and winding and even dirt. When you say transfer, is this by the vehicle or by plane? Not likely to need a 4x4, with a driver and guide doing the driving. They know now not to get stuck, but if it is comfort in the vehicle you are looking for, then a higher priced vehicle might be more comfortable than a van. (air con, etc.) The only vehicle we saw that got stuck was a 4x4 with driver thinking his vehicle was invincible. Got a few laughs from all the other guides in vans who had to help pull him out. We did budget accommodations, so none of those were on our list.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Hello,

If all of this itinerary if covered by road I think you are trying to fit too much in. Heck, it's quite a lot by air!

I would advise generally against one night stays in particular, and with this itinerary you are going to spend more time transferring between locations than actually seeing the parks.

Samburu has plentiful game and some species you will not see elsewhere but personally I would still be tempted to miss it out.

I believe you have eight nights. For me:

1 x Nairobi

2 x Sweetwaters

2 x Nakuru

3 x Mara

That’s quite a balanced and varied itinerary, if still a little busy, with a couple of long drives, but manageable.

Hope that helps

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Skip Samburu & go to Sweetewaters, Nakuru & Mara. You need to spend at least 2/3 Days at each location to make it worthwhile.

4x4 is more comfortable but comes at a price, but Mini Vans also very popular.

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

RodT, Wayne and Stefaniladra,

Thanx for your prompt replies.

We will be travelling by Road and plan to use a Van rather than 4x4. We will be only 4 people in the Van, so do you think that 4x4 will still make a difference in comfort?

I also read that there are no Flamingos at Nakuru this year....whats your info? Rod T, you have done it earlier this year, so what is your experience?

Thanks again for your responses!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

I'd agree that your posted itinerary is too much in too few days.

I really enjoy Lake Nakuru, but on my last trip in March, Nakuru was still very flooded. We had to take a different road to get from the entrance gate to the Lion Hill lodge but that was fine. Flamingos have been at a minimum for a while but there still were some there. There is still plenty of rhinos and possibly leopards to see. I stayed there 2 nights last trip, but with the current situation, I think I'd just stay 1 night and head on to the Mara, staying for 4 nights, possibly in 2 locations.

The drive up to Samburu is long but a lot now tarmac. Still, with the number of days, I think I'd skip and do:

1 night Nairobi

2 nights Sweetwaters (a favorite of mine, spending 3 nights there next trip)

2 nights Nakuru take a trip over to Naivasha too or

2 nights Naivasha taking a trip over the Nakuru

4 nights Mara (in 2 locations)

Re vehicles, many vans are 4WD and I actually find them more comfortable than Landcruisers. There seems to be more interior room and easier to get in and out. I too have seen Landcruisers stuck but a lot depends on the skills of the guides.

Having done several 1 night stays on my first trip, and finding it very tiring, I'd not do less than 2 nights any place unless it is just because you have a very long drive between locations. When you spend 2 nights, you actually get to enjoy the facilities also and it was a lot more relaxing.

Laurena

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Thanks a lot Laurena!

I think I will do-

2 nights Sweetwaters

1night- Nakuru

4 nights- Masai mara.

Please suggest the accomodation, especially 2 locations of Mara.

Thanks again....

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

- I also recommend the three destinations you have opted for.

- Mode of transport will be determined by your budget

- Welcome to Kenya

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

I'm a big fan of Sweetwaters Tented Camp. They have done extensive remodeling of the dining area (good food), have a very nice gift shop and lounge (free wi fi) and many of the tents have been upgraded, but even the older tents are nice. Plenty of hot water, but first thing in the morning, let it run a little as it gets cool in the mountains.

In the Mara, I've stayed a couple of times, and will again this next trip, at Mara Serena. It is a larger lodge, but also has been recently remodelled. It sits up on a bluff where you can look down at the animals in the valley. For your 2nd location, choose a place on the other side of the Talek River as a lot of the animals seem to be over that way (or at least when I was in March). I have not stayed on that side though, only seen pictures. I'll be giving Mara Ilkeliani a try.

In Nakuru, I've only stayed at Lion Hill (twice) but really like it.

Many people will decide on their Mara locations, based on any migration movements. That hasn't been a huge concern for me because I like to photograph/see anything so I can't address if these places are in the best location for this although I'll be there late October, so the migration may have moved on by that point.

There are many reviews on TA about the lodging mentioned above. You can also take a look at my website at http://laurenajenkinshoffmeyer.com/ which have photos of these places and review about them.

Laurena

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Thanks Laurena for your reply. I did check your website....beautiful photographs of the lodges.

We are still undecided about the itinerary. We are told that Nairobi-Samburu road is newly done, in a very good condition, so we may go ahead with samburu as well!

We are still discussing!!!

London
Level Contributor
112 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Hi - I was born in Pune about the same time as you. I safari in Kenya about three / four times a year.

I think you are packing too much in for a road trip - you really should stay at one place for 2 / 3 days

What are you looking for - do you want lodges or tented camps (these are big luxury tents with beds, flushed toilets etc)

I would consider the Conservancies around the Mara the game viewing is spectacular