We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya safari itinerary

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya safari itinerary

We are a group of 4, all aged around 60yrs. We plan to go on Safari, using Safari Van, in 1st week of August. Our plan is as under-

Day 1- Fly in from India to Nairobi- city tour in the aftnoon and overnight at nairobi.

Day 2- After breakfast transfer to Samburu sopa lodge.

Day 3- Samburu.

Day 4- Aft BF, transfer to Sweetwaters safari camp.

Day 5- Aft BF, transfer to Nakuru Lodge

Day 6- Aft BF, transfer to Mara Sarova Lodge

Day 7 & 8 Mara

Day 9 Aft BF, transfer to Nairobi airport for evening flight to India.

We have following questions-

1. will this road travel will be too much for us?

2. should we use Safari Van or 4X4 vehicle?

3. Do you think going to Samburu is worth in terms of different type of game viewing?

4. Is our choice of lodges OK...from location point of view?

We have yet to do bookings and can change our program.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

When I was last in Samburu in 2010, yes, quite a lot of the road up that was was very smooth paved. In fact, it was when we came out of Samburu and back on the highway, that it became obvious that we had a flat tire and changed it by the side of the highway.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Pune
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Dear Pesh F,

Good to know that you are born around same time as of mine in Pune...thats in 1954!

We are consulting a person in India who himself is a wild life photographer and goes to Africa atleast 3 to 4 times a year.

He insists that We have to see Samburu. According to him Mara is No.1, followed by Samburu. Stops at Sweetwaters and Nakuru are mainly because they are enrout and we have to stop somewhere.

His logic is - anyways you spend 6 hours every day in the Van for Game viewing so how does it matter whether you spend it on highway or the Jungle!!

The road from nairobi to Samburu is now excellent so its 5 to 6 hours drive. We are really in a dilema. The sole purpose of our going is for Game viewing and we can sacrifice our personal comfirt to some extent.

What is your suggestion of the itinerary for us?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

"His logic is - anyways you spend 6 hours every day in the Van for Game viewing so how does it matter whether you spend it on highway or the Jungle!!"

Answer: because in the 'jungle' you will be game viewing, which is what you say you are visiting Kenya for. On the highway you are just travelling from one place to the next.

Samburu is lovely, but I feel you do not have long enough in country to enjoy it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
967 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Hi,

I had done safari. My itinerary was very similar to yours, only with 1 night less in Masai Mara. Instead we had taken tree top, which was good. If you flight arrives early, I would suggest head straight to Samburu. There is nothing much in Nairobi. Then you have 1 day, which you can add in Masai Mara or tree top.

1) We didn't feel time was short except in Mara. But you have 3 nights there, so will be fine.

2) We took safari van and was more than enough.

3) Samburu has few different animal. It is good for different experience but long way.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Kavita

London
Level Contributor
112 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

Dear Pune Traveler

I am afraid I just can not see the logic of your photographer friend. How can he compare game driving in the bush with transit driving on the road.

Samburu is interesting and there are some antelopes that you will see there which you will not see elsewhere but the itinerary is too packed and covering too much of the country. I did something similar in many parks many years ago on one of my first safaris but we flew from Nanyuki to the Mara. Even then it was too packed. If there are four of you by road will be cheaper than flying.

In August the migration will be on and the more time you have there the more you will see - remember river crossings may not happen just when you are well positioned to see them. I would suggest that you spend 4 days in the Mara or one of the conservancies adjoining it.

The density and variety of wildlife you will see in the Greater Mara area is unbeatable - Rhino is sometimes difficult to find there but if you are in Ol Pejeta Conservancy (you mentioned Sweetwaters) and / or Nakuru you should get your fill of rhinos.

With regards to mini buses - they are fine for the tarred road but not the best for the parks - although in August the parks will not be wet and muddy.

The issue for me now is that I try and stay away from the packed out circuits where all the tourists go and August is the busiest time of year (and the most expensive) as it is school holidays in Europe and US. Seeing that you don't have to worry about school holidays why don't you go a little later - say in October when it is too hot in Pune! (the game viewing then is also great)

What's your budget as that will define where you stay and what you do.

Suggest you PM me if you want more details

16. Re: Kenya safari itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16