We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Topic
What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

2 weeks later i'll go travel in Kenya with friends. A big problem is disturbing me all the time that how can i avoid mosquitos efficiently inside a room.

Killing mosquitos by mosquito swatter is not a good way because i'll be waked up at midnight so i'll be tired on the whole journey.

Mosquito-repellent incense. This one is seen everywhere. But almostly it won't work. Once i went back to hometown and fire it up, still suffered at night.

I saw some people brings Mosquito-killer LED Light everywhere.

tinydeal.com/220v-1w-4-led-night-light-with-…

http://www.amazon.com/INADAYS-InaTrap-Electronic-Insect-Elegant/dp/B0085OHCEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404379830&sr=8-1&keywords=mosquito+night+led

But i don't know if it hurts people by ultraviolet rays.

Guys would you give me some suggestions?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,391 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

Keep the doors and windows closed after the sun goes down. Buy Doom spray from a local supermarket or grocery. Spray the bedroom including curtains and wardrobe with Doom 30 minutes before going to bed then keep doors and windows shut (unless windows have fly netting screens).

You can also but a Doom plug in, which plugs into an electrical socket and issues measured regular doses.

Don't have the lights on when doors and windows are open.

If you have air-conditioning use it mosquitoes don't like the cold

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,391 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

PS as I understand it mosquitoes are not attracted to ultra violet light

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

If staying in Nairobi/NBO only, most hotels have air conditioning so use it. If no a/c, use Doom (often provided but not assured) as described above, but DO NOT spray on your bed linens (sheets, cases, blankets). If going out to the bush on safari where few if any lodge/camps have a/c, use Doom (usually provided) as described above.

From dusk onwards, wear long pants,sleeves, socks and use repellent on exposed skin but not on face or rear of neck and wash off before retiring to sleep. And sleep under mossie net if provided.

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

Thanks for your answer. It's professional

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

But wearing long pants, long sleeves will make myself hot to death~

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

While daytime temps can be warm to hot, once the sun sets the evenings/nights and following morning are much cooler.... drop in temp can be anywhere between 20-30 (F) degrees. Therefore, it's not all that uncomfortable to be wearing long pants, sleeves & socks (some people will even add a shawl or jacket) for the few hours thru dinner that often concludes by 9:30-10pm and then you're off to sleep at room/tent. Would rather protect myself against possible mossie bites than not.

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

Thanks for the note.

Shenzhen, China
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

How is Kenya be in Winter? I know it so hot in Summer day.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

Kenyan winters are cool and mild. In Nairobi day time temperatures hover between 16 - 24 degrees during the day and 8 - 16 degrees in the evenings.

10. Re: What is the best way to get avoid mosquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 15:46