We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

We will be going to Kenya for the later half of August. Shall we just do a Kenya safari, or a Kenya-Tanzania safari? Some say all the animals would have gone to Kenya from Tanzania.

Also, which safari tour operator you would recommend?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

Hi Warren

This depends a bit on how long you have, how much you want to spend, what you want to get out of your trip, and how much travelling you're prepared to do. While the wildebeest migration does move, there's still a tremendous amount of resident game in the Masai Mara, and the migration would be likely to still be in the Mara in late August anyway. Are you talking about August this year? If so, a huge number of places are very fully booked indeed so that may well be a determining factor. If next year, you have plenty of time.

Again- safari tour operator depends rather on the above, there are a number of excellent operators at different levels of the market, so if you can give us more of an idea what you're looking for we can help a bit more easily.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Edited: 06 August 2014, 16:55
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

Thanks. We are going this year, spending about 8 to 12 days. But is it worth going to Tanzania too?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

Again- it really depends on what you want to get out of the experience. In my book, the more things you can see and do, the better- but not at the expense of utterly exhausting yourselves. With 8 days I'd definitely stick with 1 country, with 12 you could do 2 if you flew around, but whether it's worth it sort of depends on if you have the budget to chuck at flying around rather than driving, which will make the transition less painful, and on what you want to get out of your safari. If you only want to see the migration Kenya should be fine, but if you have other priorities Tanzania might be worth including. I have travelled extensively in both countries and adore them both- so it's more down to each individuals priorities rather than one or the other being fundamentally more or less worth of visiting.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

I think even with 12 days you are better off sticking with one country. There is more than enough to fill the time in either country. Kenya is the obvious candidate for August due to the migration unless you have a compelling reason to want to cover Tanzania also?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

With 8/days you only have time for Kenya; if 12/days and planned properly with a flight you might be able to get Ngo in, but that would be 1/day yet you need 3/days to accomplish this. 1/day to get to TNZ, 1/day NGO, 1/day to return to KEN.

Know that August is the busiest month in Kenya, so that seems to be telling me something - it's the place to be.

6. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 09:35
7. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 09:35
London
Level Contributor
112 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

I have been on safari many times in both countries and loved each trip. If this is your first time you might want to do both - but my experience is that there is enough to see in one country. In August I would tend to favour Kenya as the main wildebeest migration will have moved there.

I would suggest you spend at least 4 days in the Greater Mara area. I am an out fan of the Conservancies - particularly in August when the main parks can get quite crowded and there are just too many vehicles around. The reason why I prefer conservancies is explained in some of my other posts

See tripadvisor.co.uk/…59070168

My friends and I always use Gamewathchers www.porini.com and we have never been dissapointed. They have their own camps in conservancies but can also get great rates at other places and really look after their clients.

Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

I would recommend Kenya ..the migration is such a fantastic scene . although the lodges and campsites are quite crowded you will always get a space . due to the terror attacks witnessed recently most tourist cancelled their bookings or diverted to other destinations . its just crowded by the river for those waiting to see migration but for the plains its just fine . so many animals and birds to see in Masai Mara

jack travel- director- sherpal tours

10. Re: Kenya or kenya-Tanzania

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 23:28