We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari clothing colours

Almeria
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safari clothing colours

When I started reading this forum a few weeks ago I remember seeing something about the colours of clothes to take on safari. Obviously dull colours, but did it say, not blue because this attracted a particular type of bug? Can't find the reference again, but guess what most of my wardrobe is in varying shades of! Can’t afford new clothes and the cost of the holiday.

So can anyone tell me does this just mean bright blue – or is it any blue. Also should I be colour co-ordinating for the bug life at the coast as well?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari clothing colours

Hi,

Apparently blue is a colour which can attract a certain type of mozzie..if you have dark blue ...... it should be ok.....

Vibrant colours are a distraction for the animals ......that is why it is reccommended to tone your safari wardrobe down.........

Just use common sense and you will be fine

regards ed

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari clothing colours

I think you're thinking about it too much!

We wore toned down colours on the safari but only because I bought Tesco value range tops for about 2 quid each with the view of dumping them along the way, they look less grubby if they are a dingy looking colour to start with (my usual taste is reds/yellows/oranges). We drove around in a bright white van, not green/brown/beige, none of the animals seemed to mind, they barely acknowledged being practically surrounded by 20+ vans let alone our wardrobe tastes.

We used to live in the far east, I can assure you mozzies will either bite/sting you or not, it's more to do with body odours, the colour of your clothes makes no difference. Deet will help prevent that not the colour of your clothes. We didn't get bitten once and wore every/all colours when not on stalking animals.

Wear what you've got, maybe don't pick lurid blues on the drives or you might feel a bit conspicuous if everyone else is in subtle tones.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Almeria
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari clothing colours

Thank you both for that. While I usually welcome any excuse for a bit of retail therapy, its not usually in khaki, sand, grey etc. Can't get to Tescos as I live in Spain but may be able to find something similar.

We don't go until the week before Christmas. Seems an age away ,,,

Somerset
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari clothing colours

Speaking without any experience whatsoever, but I booked my honeymoon last week for a safari and asked this same question. I was told by the tour operator that the animals are colourblind so it wont make a blind bit of difference. (?) Not sure if its true, but most UK mammals are colourblind so maybe?

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari clothing colours

It's tsetse flies (not mozzies) that are supposedly attracted to dark blue. I've yet to see a tsetse in Kenya but others have reported seeing them in Shimba Hills and parts of Tsavo East. From what I gather, they have a nasty, painful bite.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Shimba Hills Lodge
Shimba Hills Lodge
96 Reviews
Shimba Hills National Reserve, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,270 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Essex
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari clothing colours

Just wanted to say that it was part of the experience for me to put on my safari clothes and feel like Lara Croft for a few days :)

Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari clothing colours

Patty C. Los Angeles

what is the absolute on clothing colors for safari when in vehicles? for a 2 1/2 week safari, what amount of pants/ shorts/ shirts would you recommend taking? We leave Oct. 26 for Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar. Must keep our luggage as light as possible due to in country flights. Appreciate any help.

what should be included in a first aid bag?

Thanks,

gram3

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari clothing colours

gram3,

When in vehicles, I don't think it's really critical what colors you wear. I would avoid dark blue which supposedly attracts tsetse flies (although I've never had a chance to test out whether this is really true) and colors that show dirt easily. I would bring a mix of long and short sleeve as well as long pants and shorts as temperatures can vary quite a bit between day and night at most safari locations. Don't forget a light jacket or fleece for night time and early morning drives and a hat for sun protection. I always tend to overpack so am not the best person to advise how many articles of clothing to bring. You can have your clothes laundered at the camps and lodges during your stay, so you really don't need more than a few changes of clothing if you need to keep things light. Also if you do a search for "packing list" in the Fodors Africa forum, many posters there have posted complete lists of what they've brought that you might find helpful.

This is what my "mini medicine cabinet" consists of - bandaids, antibiotic cream, anti itch cream, antiseptic wipes, allergy medication, decongestant, ibuprofen, antidiarrheal, pepto bismol, sleep aid (I have terrible jet lag), malaria medication, insect repellent, contact lens drops, antibiotic eye drops, sunscreen, lipscreen, small packets of tissue.

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Safari clothing colours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:19