We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lotions & Potions!

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lotions & Potions!

I have all the necessary lotions and potions ready for my trip in January but am a little confused over what order to apply them and when I should use which ones!!

I have Avon SSS, deet, and high factor sun cream. Now do I put on the SSS after showering (using non-perfume shower gel/shampoo etc) , then add sun cream then put deet on any exposed flesh?! Or do I add sun cream last ?

Do I need to use Deet during the day time, or will that only really be needed for dusk, in which case won't conflict with the sun cream?!!

Help! I think I will be one big oil slick with all this, whichever order it goes on :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lotions & Potions!

Glad you have asked this question , i have been thinking the same , so confused hehe , lets hope you get a answer soon

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lotions & Potions!

Well, this is only what we did, so not scientific ;)

Normal sun cream during the day..........I did used to carry a deet pump spray in sun bag and apply around sunset time if I knew were wouldn't be going back to room for eveing shower till after dark, like after 6pm. I applied deet to the kids when going to Haller Park during the afternoon as I knew there would be lots of greenery around.

After shower in evening......I used the Avon SSS "lotion" in place of any normal aftersun. Once dried in I then would squirt ontop the deet, manily on ankles, wrist's, neck ....hope this makes sence

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lotions & Potions!

Hi

I Have to agree with you it is a little confusing....

i would suggest that you apply your suncream as normal and if you visit the parks or the mamba crocodile village apply a little avon sss and after your evening shower apply the mosquiito cream/spray

Feet ankles and wrists are the perfect biting grounds for these little critturs....

they do tend to crawl up the leg of your trousers and somehow can and do bite your bum......

I always shower just before I go to bed to get rid of the deet but not Avon sss

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lotions & Potions!

Thanks ladies - glad I am not the only one to be confused!!

re the critters biting your feet (yuk), what footwear for safari evenings would be suggested? I had planned on trainers for daytime and sandals/flip flop things for evening but maybe I would be better to cover up my "plates of meat"?

I wonder why the Avon SSS works so well! When I ordered it, my Avon lady even asked were we going as she assummed we were using it as mossie repellent!

Nikki

ps - 30 more sleeps to go for me!!!!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lotions & Potions!

hi, Sandals are fine ......but, spray your feet ..before you put them on and wait for your feet to dry a bit...

The Avon sss was used by my son in the Air Force .it was intended to keep his face moist when he was on mountain rescue and he discovered that the midges in scotland never attacked him.... but bit his collegues to bits ...... so on the next shout they all used it and it worked.........

and My brother took it to Belize and there he was not bitten...so I have always used it..... I havn`t used the new one, and you can`t get hold of the old stuff ..... but i would suggest you have a root around your grans.. ( cupboard ) drawers to see if she has a bottle lurking there... you know what we are like !!!!!!

ed

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lotions & Potions!

Your skin cannot absorb too much different stuff at once. Lara's advice is spot on - sunscreen during the day as your priority is not to get burned (with Deet in your bag in case application is needed while you're out), Avon in evening with Deet on top in the vulnerable places.

7. Re: Lotions & Potions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 15:18