We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avon sss

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Avon sss

I have read some discussions re Avon SSS, and take it is something to do with mosquittos. What is the product and does it repell mosquittos? What about other products like jungle formula sprays. Also do the mosquitto killer plugs that you insert a blue mat work in Kenya?

Thanks

Cathie

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avon sss

I don't know about the blue mat thing....but have used the liquid pug in's.....basically Kenya uses the same 3 pin as us so either should do as long as 3 pins.

Alot of people have different therioes on Avon SSS....some say it works, some don't. I read somewhere that it wasn't so much a repellent....but once dried in it leaves a coating /film which the mozzies find hard to actually penetrate into, hence they can't get to your skin. Having said that I was originally told it was the green one, so I've always used that sucessfully. Whilst Avon don't advertise it for mozzies.....if it's good enough for American and UK army troops/soliders to use and sware by, then it's good enough for me ;)

I haven't tried the oil spray, .After shower in evening......I use the Avon SSS "lotion" in place of any normal aftersun. Once dried in I then would squirt ontop with the deet also for good measure, that manily on ankles, wrist's, neck

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avon sss

hi,

Yes its alittle deet soaked square and you put it in the plug.....

I bought one from a famous tent shop and it was useless......

the little coils fro mthe lacal shop/Nakumatt are perferct .keep one on the bathroom as most hotels have screenig on the windoe but the blighters can stil squeeze through this.

I always give the room a quick spray just before leaving for dinner..

and turn the bed clothes back .......as you shut the door you will here loads of coughing..... yep !! youve done a good job...

as Laura says after a shower spray A.sss then a bit of deet to the wrists and ankles...

Hello Laura and a Happy new year to you...

I am going to the Voyager soon (surprise gift) so do you remember what was the best place to sit in the cave? for dinner to avoid the smoke or draft? i dont want ot trawl bach kthrough the posts...

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avon sss

hi ya Ed......yep, I've not been getting on TA so much these days, happy New Year back to you. Good to hear your finally get to go to The Voyager after your swapsy last time....okay, stay to the lefthand side, so when you go down the stairs you'll see the open kitchen, you can either go near the waterfall on left or just at the bottom of stairs on the right...but don't go to the right of the kitchen bit. The Steak Diane was good and of course any of the lobster. Don't forget to go into the other "caves" for a massage, heavenly. If you've booked a superior sea view, ask for the landing 555-558, nice and quite there ;)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avon sss

Thanks to all for the responses. Two queries do you buy the coils in a shop in Kenya I am going to the Voyager and where is the cave, is it a restaurant in the Voyager?

Thanks

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avon sss

Cathiewhite..

I do believe the cave is in the Voyager..

and the coils and everything else you need is just around the corner in the Nakumatt....(huge supermarket)

If you go there ask the taxi driver for his "points" card...

it helps his family with education materials and food.....

see you !!!

Angus Scotland
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avon sss

Hi Cathie,

SSS has worked for me in Goa, Thailand, Kenya etc. It has to be the original woodland fresh which has been changed to fresh something or other. It is actually supplied to the British forces overseas.

We always buy the dry oil spray and put it on in the morning and also before dusk after showering. Putting it on in the morning also saves being bitten by sand flies, and other nasty little creatures.

Regards

Patsy

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avon sss

yep, I say a cave as that is what it's like down there, in a cut out rock with stone waterpool and little pools. It's actually "Smugglers Cove" which is the resturant were you get 50% of the menu price if your all inclusive....a lobster hence works about at about £12....very nice you sure try, we ate there about 5 times over 2 weeks.

The other cave I referred to is for treatments/massage....it is in the hotel next to the "outlook" bar and again set in a cave that is open fronted so looks out to the sea. Very good massage about £8 from head to toe for a whole hour.....enjoy.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avon sss

What do you spray the room with?

What do you mean by a little bit of deet, what is deet, where do I buy it is the name deet or something else?

Thanks.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avon sss

Hi

By a little bit , I mean ...and I think other members mean ...that you only spray your wrists and ankles...

I personally spray all over with A-sss after a shower and my face..then just spray deet or I use the wipes from boots for my hands..wrists....ankles and feet..

Boots...superdrug..in the high street or even the big supermarkets stock Deet based mozzy products...

Travelpharm stratford pharmacies on line are excellent....

I think as a woman we are more susseptible ( ? ) to the darn things...

so dont use any highly perfumed products....ie; hairspray , perfume

or for the man... aftershave.... I do know ...and my hubby is one of then .. that there are certain people who can use all these things and NOT get bitten ..but that is few and far between....

Dont risk it....... always use mozzy spray when you visit the little parks ( Haller and mamba )

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avon sss

Hi Drakesdrum,

thanks for explaining that to me.

Cathie