We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't believe Kenya Airways

south africa
2 posts
Save Topic
Don't believe Kenya Airways

A review of our recent trip on Kenya Airlines and warn furture passengers of the type of service that one can expect from their staff. In more detail they will promise you the world just to get rid of you and when the problem occur you are already somewhere else and this makes you someone else's problem. They changed our antinnery and thus we only had 50 min for our transfers. I went to a supervisor at there ticketing office in Nairobi and pointed it out to them that the time seems very short seeing we are travelling with 4 children aged 5 - 12yrs. They ensured me that it will be fine but if I wanted to changed it will cost me $100 per ticket, this after they changed us to a later flight. I tried to change it but there was no seats on the earlier flights and the best is we did miss our connecting flight in the end with a lot of promises and lies just to get rid of us. I think if I knew about this I would have reacted earlier and would not have left it till we have arrived in Kenya. Be warned their flights are always delayed and we had to stay over for the night and battled to get on another flight!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

To be fair, and without wishing to denigrate your problems with KQ, *all* airlines have delays and some (i.e. Virgin) charge $200 per amendment/ticket change. I'm not a fan of KQ for my own reasons (nothing to do with their service levels) but I think it's only fair to qualify the OP by saying that you could have experienced this with many other airlines too. This does not excuse the kind of treatment you received but, as long as airlines can get away with it, they will.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

I was very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced and can understand your anger.

However, we have never had a delayed flight. I often travel alone with a considerable amount of luggage and have always received great help and the staff have have always been respectful and supportive.

I hope it was just a bad day for those particular staff.

Hazel

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

I am sorry to here about the problems you encountered and can understand that you are angry about it, but I think it is ridiculous and very innacurate to say that their flights are always delayed. I have travelled with Kenya Airways on numerous occasions and have never had a delayed flight yet.

You obviously had a bad experience and were unlucky. That can happen with any airline I'm afriad

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
south africa
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

Thank you for your feedback and I find it very encouraging to hear that you all had good experiences. My difficulty was that they cancelled our flight and placed us on a later flight, not earlier with knowledge that we are trying to make a connecting flight to Johannesburg. I went to their offices and they ensured me that we will make the flight, I changed to flight of two children travelling with us to be ons the same flight because their mother had an emergency at work and could not make the trip. Our flight left Mombassa 15min late and this was all that was required. The purser on the plane ensured us they will arrange staff to meet us on arrival to assist us and ensure that we make our flight, no one was there. We ran form domestic aarivals to Int departures, were assited quickly through customs but when we reached the gate, the supervisor just told us to go to gate 6. The plane was still there and not closed. They were overbooked it seems. We then had to try and get on a flight the next day and this took us from 8H00 till 11H00. This just makes it a nightmare of a flight. So be warned give yourself enough time for your transfer and if you do not have atleast 1.5 hours you may be missing your flight as well. Do not believe the groundstaff if they say otherwise!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

I'm sorry they assured you that you would make your flight with a 50 minute connection. I don't believe I would ever book any flight anywhere in the world with a 50 minute connection regardless of airline. It's obviously too short given the time to de-plane, collect belongings and make it to another gate especially if the plane is slightly delayed, which is common.

Next time, regardless of airline, do not allow anyone to put you on a 50 minute connecting flight (no matter what assurances you are given -- the people assuring you are probably not the same ones who are there to help you get to the next flight)!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

sorry !

been very disappointed with KQ as well!

i got tired of writing letters fo complaint so i personally never fly KQ; unless there is no other choice.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

hi eugene,

it happened to us on our rtn flt from nbo to mld,flt was cxd and a mombasa flt which the turnaround was veryshort, less than 1 hr from domestic to int terminal for our addis flt.

this was actually the last straw as on our way to mld i saw them put the luggage on the a/c and on arrival found out it was offloaded even though we were first to chk in.

long story short, after many complaints i contacted the director of KQ and threatened to publish the email addresses of the whole board of kq, 3 days later they sent the cs manager to addis for a chat.

they admitted many mistakes were made and apologised with a few promises, i told her as far as i am concerned the matter is not over until they give everyone the same treatment.

just to let u know the uk flts get better treatment but the sa flt is always messed around cxd etc.

will post my report next time we fly kq, they gave me a nice clock and other stuff but i'm not open to that kind of bribe, my price is much higher.

agy

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

I flew on Kenya Airlines this spring as part of an arranged safari. When I got on the plane, I thought they were wonderful. For the number of customers on board, I thought service was good. No problems on the way there. On the return however, we knew there would be a delay of an hour. That turned into 2, followed by another delay. The airline were not communicating effectively. Our 11:45pm flight did not leave until 10:15am the next day. During this time frame, food in the airport was not available, the airport was extremely hot, and at one point, the water in the restroom was turned off for a couple of hours. We ended up having to try and nap on the floor due to fatigue (some of our group reported getting some bug bites from that experience). People were getting very vocal which made for quite an uncomfortable experience. When I got home, I did follow through with the airlines about some type of compensation for the problems. It took several emails, but finally, I received a check for $100 to compensate for the inconvenience. Would I fly Kenyan Airlines again? Well, I guess it would not be my preferred choice. I also noticed that this airport did not seem to have a lot of seating for persons waiting for a flight.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
9. Re: Don't believe Kenya Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 05:40