We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Asking on behalf of a friend travelling through Nairobi, with a long wait in transit. Seen older posts on this, but checking for more recent knowledge. On the outward journey, she said she was told that she needed a "voucher" to use sleep room facilities. Cannot find any reference to this; Kenya Air do not answer the phone at Heathrow, nor do they reply to emails at Nairobi Airport! There are rest rooms, as previously described on this site; are they turn up and pay?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Try phoning 0208 283 1818 ext selection number 9 always get an answer (Kenya Airways London).

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

This is an earlier post by Asifiwe.....

After several attempts on reaching the marketing department of Kenya Airports Authorities , I have managed to confirm that there is a sleep and shower facility at JKIA next to Gate 4 internatinal Departures. The Cell no. of the Airport Manager is 0733886025.

Charges:- Single Room 0 to 04hrs USD25.00

4-08Hrs USD40.00

8-24Hrs USD 60.00

Also I posted this....

Take a look at this website - the budget travellers guide to sleeping in airports - www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp…

Quite a few reviews of Nairobi.

NAIROBI
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

hi

if the passanger will be waitng for more than seven hours then there is no need to stay at the airport. get a cab for USD 20 to panari sky centre which is like 5kms from the airport . get a sleep room and drive back to the airport for your next destination.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Sleep n Shower. In a later post I did say I had looked at it. Also someone else has posted about it after staying there. It is just past gate 4, on the left. You go down the stairs and continue in the same direction. It is on the left. Not well signposted! (Or you can go down in the lift by the stairs)).

The big advantage is you don't need to get a transit visa. Also, the Nairobi traffic is HORRENDOUS and you can spend all your time in a traffic jam if you are at the wrong time of day.

The other poster explained what he/she did about the luggage.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

PS. Yes, the Panari Hotel is not far from JKIA, but is a bit expensive from what I've heard. It depends on her budget.

Are you meaning she is flying Kenya Airways? If so try their website. www.kenya-airways.com I think. However, the Sleep 'n' Shower facility is not KA. I think Kenya Airports Authority might be the operator??? Or try the mobile number I was given (some time ago), posted here. +254 and omit the 0, from UK.

Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Thanks for all replies. Some useful info received. She is travelling with Kenya Airways; a student from Cameroon returning to UK - short of money, as is usual for students.!

I was wondering about the information she was given at Nairobi on the outward journey. When she asked about sleeping accommodation, she was told she needed a voucher; cannot see any reference to this. Could it be that the person who told her this meant a visa to leave the airport?

Having difficulty communicating with her at the moment.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

When I went to check the place, I was told you just have to turn up.

How long is her transit? I have sat it out for some hours. I just find a seat and stick my feet on a trolley. There is a transit lounge, but I have not looked at it recently. The last time I used it, I decided never again. The chairs were fixed in rows and it was hard to find anywhere comfortable to sleep.

Last week, I had 5 hours and could have survived for longer!! At least it is free!! Others may suggest getting a coffee at the Java Coffee House near Gate 14.

Goa
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Just wondering if anyone has actually used the sleep and shower facility at JKIA. Going to be there in 3 weeks and would love to rest as my connection is going to be about 6 hours.

Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

Asifiwi: She arrives at 06.30(very tired!), and does not depart until 23.45. She had a similar wait on the outward journey, and found it an ordeal. Leaving the Airport, or even exiting transit is not an option she would want to do.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi Airport sleep/rest rooms in transit.

OK. If a transit visa and a hotel is not an option, the only alternatives are

Transit lounge (anyone used it recently?), the departure area seats or the Sleep 'n' Shower (which has to be paid for).

There is a post by soemone who has used S and S fairly recently, if you search for it.

What I saw were fairly basic rooms with beds, and a small kitchen with facilities for making hot drinks and a microwave (which I guess could be used to heat up any food carried from the plane!!). There are plenty of eating places in Departures. (The food in the transit lounge was rather expensive.)