We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa documents?

leeds
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Visa documents?

Hi everyone,

A quick question on visas. I am planning on obtaining a tourist visa at nairobi airport. Do I need to supply any documents or passport pictures in order to do this?

thank you

leics
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa documents?

The only documents you'll need are your passport and some cash.

Some other paperwork will be provided on the flight for you to fill in - with name, address etc and details of where yo uare staying, fo rhow long, purpose of visit etc. All very routine, straightforward stuff..

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa documents?

If you download the visa application form from the Kenyan High Commission web site and complete it before you travel , take it on the flight with you then all you have to do is hand it over with your passport and payment when you arrive at the visa desk. No photos are required when you obtain your visa on arrival in Kenya

DY1
West Mids
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa documents?

Absolutely agree with download the form and fill it in. You will also be given a customs declaration card to fill in on the aircraft with similar detail. Have exact money if possible as it will speed the process. NOTE: You need to fill in an Exit visa when you leave Kenya, have a pen on you to do this as they never seem to have any at the airport. The forms you will pick up just before you head through departures. I recommend that you enter the airport, grab the forms and fill them in while you check your luggage.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa documents?

You have to fill in an arrival card which is usually given out on the plane, so filling it out on the plane saves time.

There is no exit visa, there is a departure tax but it is included in the price of your ticket unless you are flying with First Choice or Thomson who pass the cost on to their customers.

You do have to fill in a departure card which is remarkably similar to the arrival card but a different colour. They sometimes give both cards out on the inward flight or you can pick one up on arrival

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa documents?

And the swine flu form!

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa documents?

I've just downloaded the form as mentioned by others ( form V1 ). I'm going to post it off tomorrow with a passport phote and a prepaid selfaddressed envelope + £20 per person. They told me it would take 5 - 10 days. Personally I much prefer having it all sorted, especially as we arrive there at 3:30am british time, way too early in the morn to fill in forms etc. You can phone them for information, no. is on webpage, they are pretty helpfull.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa documents?

I always fill in the form when I get there.You don't need photos just your money. US dollars dated after 2001. I think everyone has to queue anyway if you already have your visa or not to get stamped in so I fill the form in while waiting in the queue.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa documents?

You don't have to fill the form in at the airport if getting a visa on arrival, download it and fill it out before you go.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa documents?

As Doff says, don't wait until you hit the mayhem at the airport, do it in the comfort of your home. Everyone starts searching for pens and for somewhere/someone to lean on to fill it out before shuffling along in the queues. Be organised!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa documents?

USD notes should be no older than 5/years, so those dates from 2004 or 2005. It's small print, but found on the bottom of the notes. Notes should have the new larger faces, not torn, folded, or taped.

Download the form from the Kenya High Commission site, complete it, keep together with your passport, then on arrival you only need hand it in at the desk marked Purchase Visa with the fee. No photos required.