We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orphanage Visit

Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Orphanage Visit

Hi, my wife and I are going to spend about a month at an orphanage on the outskirts of Nairobi, i guess helping in any way we can with school work, building/infrastructure improvements etc. Its an Orphanage we visited quickly with a tour a few years back and had always wanted to return to, it seemed well run and the kids well looked after. We will be asking for small donations from friends to take and put towards one of their projects (chicken farm for instance). We would also like to buy a few personal effects for the kids and would like some ideas on what things are generally most needed/useful (ie, shoes,underwear, school items, warm jumpers etc), of course we hope to get an idea once we are there but would like to arrive with something initially.

Any tips on ways to liven up the taste of Ugali also appreciated as neither of us are big fans, but expect to eat the same as the kids.

Lynto Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Explore Safaris by Tufayn
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
Kibera Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orphanage Visit

There's usually a few regulars who could inform you about what to take, though Nairobi might have different needs - what do you suggest Edna? - can't the orphanage send you a wish list?

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orphanage Visit

Unless it is a small home , to buy individual gifts is something I never reccomend,

Definately take Jumpers , Hats - Cagoules are even better for the rainy season and so easy to pack in a schol bag

as stated before underwear is always acceptable and needed , Few metres of soft white cloth ( suitable to make sanitary ware ) with the addition of Needles cotton and scissors - Bright coloured posters of growth charts - multiplication Tables and + additions are always nice - blow up world globes - de-flated Footballs + pump - geometry sets solar calculators

Something for the whole house? perhaps a wind up radio and a couple of wind up torches .

For the Ugali - now this wil set a few peoples teeth on edge but I love it cold spread with Marmalade - Jam or Marmite ..( Vegi-mite) for you to bring you could pack a few instant soups box of Oxo`s

and of course MONEY -squeeze as much as you can from family friends etc

One excellent gesture is to have the childrens teeth checked something very much needed and expensive ..

and finally as a treat? Bananas . or Oranges - fruit is wquite expensive for the home to buy and this is indeed a lovely treat,

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orphanage Visit

My tongue is still tingling from the thought of ugali with marmarlade Edna, still, I will give it a go next time. I like the tomato and onion cooked and poured over ugali. To go with the bananas take some Ada packet custard to mix with water, the kids love it and it is only about 7p a packet, their own brand. I second Edna's list.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orphanage Visit

sorry I meant Asda, I wass still thinking about the marmarlade

Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orphanage Visit

Hello Drakesdrum and Danbury, thankyou very much for some great suggestions , the home has about 120 kids so yes personal gifts are difficult, but im sure some a few treats like the custard as well as the practical items will go well. I will make sure i pack a large jar of vegemite as well to liven the ugal.

Kind Regards

Michael.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orphanage Visit

I hope they do the custard you mix with water in Australia, milk is expensive in Kenya. Forgot to mention that. Soap is a good gift but can be got in Kenya easily. You will have an amazing time. Don't forget to post back a report when you come home, we love to get the feed back. x

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orphanage Visit

I also forgot ot tell you to bring pictures of your home town - house-flat- apartment or caravan - all the animals you have in your country the childen love to see them - then they like to draw and make up stories about you !

If you want something for a bit of fun Balloons - the kenyan child will look after that balloon much longer than ours will .

Knitting wool is another great product to bring with you and a couple of big crochet hooks ,,

Sadly nowadays we cant get the "wooden" cotton reels to make "french knitting" all the children I meet love to make hats from these ..

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orphanage Visit

Ugali spread with marmalade ( Yuuulk!) - you're not "in the family way" are you?!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orphanage Visit

"in the family way ?" oh Tilly you have made me laugh ------ you can be my manager if I am :)- ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!

Now for the creme de la creme --- Ugali dipped in batter- deep fried and smothered in Golden syrup oh my ! heaven

wonder if I can get this with Meals on wheels !!!!!

"Crap of the year cook book for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Re: Orphanage Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 05:18