We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
95 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Hi, I read thru some of the posts, thank you, need additional advice. traveling with a child 9 years old. flying from cairo to kili in june, thinking of stoping in nairobi for 2 nights to see the animal orphans, david sheldrich, giraffe center. Is this a good use of our time (child loves animals)? I read advice is to stay in "karen", please recommend a mid-priced clean safe hotel? how far from "karen" to airport? thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Mascushla House in Karen is a small hotel very close to the Giraffe Centre and Elephant Orphanage etc.

Please see there website and check the reviews.

http://www.macushla.biz

Children get a 50% reduction on the room rate.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

I always tend to think that Karen based hotels are overated and are usually far from the airport.

Edited: 12 March 2010, 08:27
Orlando
Level Contributor
95 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Thank You. What hotel would you suggest for a family? I think want to be near the giraffes, etc. We would like to feel like we are in Africa, not just "any city".

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Drive time between the international/JKIA or domestic/WILson airports are about equal distance from city or Karen hotels. Except for very early morning or late night, traffic can mess you up regardless where staying.

There's no reason not to try for Macushla House, but realize they only have 6/rooms. Otherwise, no reason to avoid so-called "city" hotels... you'll still know you're in Africa.

The Fairview gets good reviews as does their lower-cost Country Lodge (which prices is probably closest to that of Macushla). There's a Hilton, Intercontinental, The Stanley, Serena, Norfolk, Safari Park, etc.

Have your outfitter provide options and prices so you can select what works for you.

Orlando
Level Contributor
95 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Hi, Yes we have asked the safari guide to work on this for us. But we need impartial advice! This will be the end of a long trip thru Cairo, so its important to me to make it memorable. I had a bad experience at the end of the last trip we took, the 3 weeks thru Indonesia & Australia were great, but sadly the last hotel we stayed in (Sydney Rydges World Sq) was no good. I did not like ending our beautiful trip on a sour note. So I am being more careful this time!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
589 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

We ended our three week Kenya/Tanzania tour at the Fairview Hotel and found it to be the best hotel we had stayed at. The lovely staff will organise all your transport in safety in their private cars at very reasonable prices in what is not a very safe city. We stayed at the Fairview on the recommendation of expats in Tanzania who never stay anywhere else when in Nairobi.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

Have a look at Ndemi Place. It is getting very good reviews and might be worth considering. It is not in the city centre, but not too far out. I have had it personally recommended to me.

www.ndemiplace.com

8. Re: June Nairobi 1.5days hotel & itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 05:16