We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

I am travelling to Nairobi in November and wondering if driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki is advised? we have heard scare stories about carjacking and big pot holes.

If so how long will it take and what sort of car is the best option?

thanks

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

The road to Nanyuki is quite good ,a few pot holes in places but nothing to worry about. The trip should take about 3 hours.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

You should be fine if doing the drive in the daytime. Take a sturdy 4x4 (preferably not a brand new car!), keep the doors locked at all times and be vigilant. If someone tries to flag you down, or make you pull over (either a pedestrian or another driver), ignore them. If your car has a problem (even a flat), drive to the next town and deal with it. Don't stop on the side of the road. Make sure you have a charged mobile phone with you and the numbers of contacts at both ends of your journey. It may be stating the obvious but, before you set off, check under the hood - oil, water, coolant, screen wash, transmission fluid etc - and tyres.

The above is not meant to sound alarmist, just practical. Those of us who live here do all the above before every car journey. There's no AA/RAC here to help out if something goes wrong; you have to deal with it yourself. On that note, also make sure that the car you take has a high-lift or ordinary jack.

Safari njema!

FL410

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

While FL410 lives in Kenya and I don't, I've done this journey many times (and many others in Kenya!) and would rarely give a second thought to stopping at the side of the road, deaiing with a flat or just getting on with normal driving. I've also often given lifts to locals out in the sticks. You have to use your judgement about where you are. I would be extremely cautious in the greater Nairobi area. And at night. But in most parts of Kenya I wouldn't feel unsafe.

Most carjackings are planned operations, so frankly tour operators' scheduled safari vehicles are actually likely to be more vulnerable. And I can't remember the last time I heard of it happening to tourists.

But absolutely no disrespect intended to FL410's views. After all, some TA members wouldn't want to drive at all.

Have a good trip!

Richard

nairobi
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

if its your first time you need a driver to take you there. you can use any car small car to big car, it will depend with you. www.allaboutafricasafaris.com have good car hire rates. enjoy.

5. Re: Driving from Nairobi to Nanyuki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 06:17