We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi drivers who have integrity

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
taxi drivers who have integrity

can we make a list of taxis who are decent if that possible,.

imeant guys who know the directions of here they are going and donot send their friends,.

i used a guy in mombasa and gave him500 ksh tip but he really as after such huge money afterwards,.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

Sorry - I am struggling to understand your post, maybe you typed it too fast?

I know too many taxi drivers with integrity in the Mombasa area to list here

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

I also have knowledge of several excellent taxi drivers in South /North and Nairobi,

better to state the area you wish to travel then we can reccomend someone for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

I'll be arriving in Nairobi the evening of August 7th, and I have Sunday, August 8th free to explore. I was thinking of hiring a private taxi to take me to Karen to David Sheldrick's, Karen Blixen and Giraffe Center etc.

Can you please recommend a good driver/guide or is this something I should arrange at the hotel. I'll be staying at the Fairview before departing on Safari on the 9th, and they've already arranged to have a driver to meet me at the airport.

Also, any other recommendations on how to spend my one free day will be greatly appreciated!

4. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 08:05
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

"i used a guy in mombasa and gave him500 ksh tip but he really as after such huge money afterwards"

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but you gave a driver a tip (for a local journey, I presume) worth over $6 and then were surprised that he expected the same from you on every subsequent journey?

You're in a Third World country. Any mzungu (white/European) is perceived as wealthy beyond imagination by almost all locals here, whether they are a tourist or a charity worker/volunteer. And by comparison, most mzungus are. His perception of you was formed by your initial generosity. That does not mean he didn't have integrity. As the basis for any future tipping, remember that most workers in the service industry earn between $1 and $2.50 per day here (around 250/-).

Drivers with "integrity" are too numerous to list, and it contravenes forum guidelines to post personal details - phone numbers, names and email addresses - in a thread in any case. I would say: use your common sense. Haggle well, tip small but consistently and you will find a driver who will stick with you and look after you for your entire trip.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

We used a taxi driver in North Mombasa recommended by Westwoodboy. Charming man with a very comfortable air conditioned car. He picked us up at the airport and we also arranged a tour of Mombasa with him with our own personal guide at a fraction of the cost of a Thomson excursion. We were a bit apprehensive about this, but felt quite safe with our guide, even walking around with video cameras etc. Also used him to go to Haller Park and collect us a few hours later. Very fair prices and known to a lot of local people. We'd recommend him.

Edited: 24 July 2010, 11:07
ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

i meant taxi who keeps the same rates and not take me for a fool,.

i am well experienced in travel in africa,.

i do not want drunk driver or mirrah eating driver,.mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

Suirvale nogotiate the fare before getting into any taxi, it should cost about 100 Ksh per Kilometre.

Don't listen to any sob story the driver will give you about the cost of fuel.

If you are going to somewhere specific you can use Google Earth to measure the exact distance from which you could work out the fare.

Make sure the car is in good condition with working air conditioning not a rust bucket.

Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

Ok since my post was deleted and I'm quite obviously NOT touting and am a "real person" I'm just going to post it again. I'm actually pretty irritated my post was deleted. Get a clue Trip Advisor mods, why don't you actually look at a persons posts before you assume they are touting. It's pretty obvious I'm not.

Anyway...for a day trip of Nairobi try Kennedy of Waymark Safaris. I've read lots of feedback saying he gives excellent day tours of Nairobi. We are going to spend the day with him in Nairobi when we are there for a full day. We plan to do the Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Center, Utamaduni Craft Center, Kazuri Beads, and the Kenya Wildlife Service (where I've read Kennedy can arrange for a Cheetah hug).

Perhaps my post was deleted b/c I included Kennedy's email address, so I won't do that this time. Send me a message and I will get you his email address. Or maybe my post was deleted because I mentioned "the other forum" so I won't do that either. If you PM me I can direct you where to go to read the positive feedback about him.

Geez, oversensitive much, mods?

10. Re: taxi drivers who have integrity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 08:35