We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slum dog tourism - Kibera

Wales
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Slum dog tourism - Kibera

I recently came across this report written by a resident of Kibera and found it very interesting, especially when kibera tours seem to be on the up. Wondered what other people's thoughts were??

nytimes.com/2010/08/10/opinion/10odede.html…

Guided Nairobi City Tours
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
African Home Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Kibera Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slum dog tourism - Kibera

I thought that was an interesting piece. I think that in any group you'll have people that won't handle the tour tactfully, and be disrespectful. Which if I was to do one of the tours I'd be nervous about having someone like that in the group.

I like the closing piece about the one way conversation. I'd be most wanting to learn about the conditions and talk to people, but through a tour setting -- otherwise I'd be too uncomfortable to enter a slum myself or strike up conversations.

I think small groups with a good tour leader who explains responsible tourism could have a good effect on awareness. When I was on a tour in Egypt our tour guide took of off the beaten path in a small city in central egypt away from all the tourism. It was an eye opener.

2. Re: Slum dog tourism - Kibera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 05:16