We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya wire transfer for safari

1 post
Save Topic
Kenya wire transfer for safari

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I sent money last week via wire transfer to my safari company (traveling in December). I sent the funds in Kenyan shillings and then it was converted to USD. Somewhere during the transfer I lost $300. I am afraid to do any more wire transfers now. This "trip of a lifetime" is already costing us more than expected...I don't want to lose any more money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya wire transfer for safari

Hi alkesall1 , I sympathise with your concern as losing $300 is quite a cost. First of all most tour companies do send quotes in US $ , why did you opt to send the payment in Kshs to be converted to US $, this actually means you were buying the $ from the bank at the buying rate which is higher than the selling rate.Furthermore there is the bank wire transfer charge which is imposed on the recipient by the local bank which varies from $20 to $35 which would have been quite reasonable had you sent the $ direct other than Kshs. Speak to the Safari company to sort this out for future payments

Allan Chasia

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya wire transfer for safari

II think was your problem and not the company`s problem.

You were quoted in USD and you paid in KSH ,so the company will have to draw in KSh and buy USD to pay rest of Services Vendors who charge in USD.

Wire transfer is the best way if will use it as it is.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya wire transfer for safari

As others, why did you transfer funds as Ksh vs USD which I'm sure deposit invoice was requested in USD.

The loss is probably due to having to reconvert Ksh to USD.

If invoice is in USD that's what you wire.

Wire transfers are very safe.

4. Re: Kenya wire transfer for safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:15