We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollmans Safari's

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romsey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pollmans Safari's

Hi,

We have booked our safari with Hayes and Jarvis and we will be going on safari with Pollmans. Has anyone had any experience with this company and also how strict are they on the weight of the luggage? Our safari takes us from nairobi to our hotel in Mombasa.

Thanks

Mrs T

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pollmans Safari's

We're also with H&J and Pollmans safari (leaving UK tomorrow), with no internal flights involved. It states quite clearly on our itinerary paperwork that on safari soft luggage must be used and weigh no more than 15kg pp.

Are you trying to save the transport charge for sending your 'beach' luggage to Mombasa separately?

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pollmans Safari's

I think you will find that no one will have scales therefore your luggage will not be weighed by the safari company.

The weight limit is usally for flying safaris and even then if you are being picked up in the bush they don't have airport buildings let alone weighing machines.

I'd be quite relaxed about it and we've certainly never had any problems in 10 years of going on safari.

Enjoy

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pollmans Safari's

If you are absolutely correct DM, I'm somewhat surprised that our non flying safari CLEARLY states "soft sided luggage, weighing no more than 15kg pp". Though don't expect to it to be weighed, I do expect Pollmans to exercise a bit of control given that it travels in limited space in the rear of the vehicle (unless it's a private safari).

I suppose the only problem which might arise is if ALL guests in a group safari vehicle decide to cart all their luggage along regardless of what they've been told by the operator - we get 46kg each with 10kg of hand luggage..................won't be space in the van for the guests if your advice is followed!

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pollmans Safari's

Sure I follow the rules but if my bag is 1kg or 2kg overweight no one is going to make a fuss.

I always travel with soft sided luggage however I'm probably in the minority given the last flight I had from Manyani to Ukunda.

I have never met a safari company which has complained about people's luggage because most folk are considerate.

PS How often have you been on safari as a matter of interest?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pollmans Safari's

Hi,

We did a Pollman's safari in July this year (booked through Hayes and Jarvis), we were picked up from our hotel in Diani.

There will be no 'boot' for your luggage, it has to fit in the bus/van, therefore, it has to be a soft bag that would fit on a spare seat or between a seat.

You don't need a lot on safari - although if it rains make sure you have a complete change of clothes.

We found our Pollman's guide excellent, he worked so hard to get us to see as much as we could, and he had excellent knowledge of the wildlife (not just animals, but vegetation and birds too as well as Maasai culture). He was called Shareef.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pollmans Safari's

Stick to the 15Kg in soft-sided even if not flying.

Very little storage space in safari vehicle if you'll be with a group.

If you are only 2/paxs... well, then you could, but you'd be surprised how much clothing - safari and beach - can fit to add up to 15Kg.

7. Re: Pollmans Safari's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:16