We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

I wanted to get some advice on additional Nairobi sites of interest: we are already scheduled to see the Elephant Nursery, Karen Blixen Museum, Langata Giraffe Center and Kazuri Bead Factory. In addition, I intend to indulge my cityscape view fetish at the Kenyatta Centre for a bit.

However, we still have a 1/2 day in Nairobi and I'd love some advice about other attractions/areas that are worthwhile (not just a museum, for example, but something truly unique to the city would be neat too). Besides that, on the day we have scheduled, I'd gladly ditch something that is not worthwhile (Albeit the TA reviews are all good) for something more worthwhile. We are doing safari so Nairobi National Park would not be on the bucket list.

Thanks in Advance!

Mentioned in this post
Karen Blixen Museum
Karen Blixen Museum
1,612 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Nairobi National Park
Nairobi National Park
2,569 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Think you got pretty much everything covered to see in & around NBI.

You can go to the Karura Forest.

http://www.karurafriends.org/

www.magicalkenya.com/index.php…

And Bomas of Kenya

http://www.bomasofkenya.co.ke/

Edited: 10 January 2012, 06:18
Mentioned in this post
Karura Forest
Karura Forest
800 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Bomas of Kenya
Bomas of Kenya
371 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Don't rule out the museum. Its well worth a visit. What about the Maasai Market - unique and you can pick up some bargains there too.

Mentioned in this post
Maasai Market
Maasai Market
55 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2012, 13:35
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Go check out a local market like Toi market and do some browsing and have a home-cooked Kenyan lunch at one of the local restaurants there for around 50 - 100 shillings each. Go see how the locals live.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

I did a piece for the Indy recently – 48 Hours in Nairobi – researched last November. Hopefully useful. independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/48-hour…

When you come down from the wonderful views at the top of the KICC, I'd particularly recommend the little musuem in the National Archives building, five minutes walk away.

Have a great trip!

Richard

Mentioned in this post
National Archives
National Archives
137 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Yankari, I'm actually going to use your itinerary to go the KICC and the surrounding area.

LoeSue, have you done the Toi market? It seems like a truly unique experience, but I think I'd want a guide to do it - do you have any suggestions?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Have fun on the walk. It's straightforward and I must say i felt safer in the CBD than i have for a long time a) because it's genuinely safer and b) because there is so much security guys outside all the premises these days - checking people coming and going and generally keeping an eye out. Get up to the top of the KICC early in the day for the best light.

The Toi market sounds great from a write up I've just read. I didn't know about it. It's just south of Ngong Road, 2km east of Junction mall. Very straightforward. It doesn't sound like you'd need a guide. It's in Woodley, a relatively affluent suburb north of Kibera.

Have a great trip!

Richard

Mentioned in this post
The Junction Mall
The Junction Mall
101 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Kibera
Kibera
139 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

Richard, I'm glad to say you felt safe in the CBD because I'd really like some un-guided time to explore the area during daylight. I'm surprised the KICC closes so early, though.

The things I've read about the Toi market don't seem too pleasant, as in if I go, I am probably better off leaving almost everything in the hotel.

Again, I appreciate all the input. I have a solid list of ideas now.

9. Re: Nairobi Itinerary Advice Sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:33