We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Hi! I am wondering how far it is from the Safari Park Hotel to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage? We land in Nairobi around 12:30pm don't leave for safari until the next morning and would like to know if it is a good idea to visit the orphanage that day. Would also love any other suggestions. We do know about the viewing times and have looked into adopting an elephant.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Pam,

It's about 16-20 minutes drive. Go on the Safari Park web page and it has the Google directions link there. Just enter Sheldricks Orphanage as the place for the destination and it will show you exactly where it is.

Either that or simply go on Google maps.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

They have a fabulous website and Facebook page. Good to hear you're considering a donation to their cause!

Edited: 18 January 2012, 03:20
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Safari Park Hotel to the David Sheldrick orphanage will take you a *minimum* of one hour - I can't imagine where that "16-20 minutes" comes from (no journey in Nairobi can be timed so precisely!). You'd be ill-advised, however, to give it less than 90 minutes, and most Nairobians would say allow two hours.

Bear in mind you're crossing the city from the far northeast to the far southwest and some of the major road construction that's been going on for the last few years is likely to add to the joys of the journey, apart from the usual traffic.

Unfortunately, the orphanage is only open for an hour each day, from 11am to noon.

Richard

Edited: 18 January 2012, 09:18
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

As Richard says, 15-20 minutes? Seriously? Where did you get that information from?

SPH is on the diagonal opposite side of town from Sheldrick so yes, allow an absolute minimum of one hour. Nothing to add to what Richard has said - am still astonished at someone's estimate of 15-20 minutes!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

I don't even live there and knew 15-20 minutes couldn't be close when Google Maps was mentioned as the source.

Nairobi, Nairobi...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

15-20 minutes ????ohh you may have used a private jet and am wondering where it can land,being lunch hour from safari park to town it can be 10-20 minutes with the super highway but from town to Sheldrick orphanage it can be up to 30 minute.

there are two viewing at noon(public) and private viewing at the evening but am not sure of the time.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Weekdays - Mon-Sat, no way less than 1/hr and likely close to twice that.

However, if it happens to be a Sunday morning... it's possible! There's little, if any traffic (not a work day and many are in church), but I'd still allow 30/min.

Sorry, didn't read - landing 12:30pm and departing next morning... you can't do the daily 1/hr showing 11am-12N. But, if you adopt a baby ellee you can arrange to visit at 5pm (for 1/hr). Contact Sheldrick, adopt the baby, $50 annual fee and make reservation to visit. You can taxi to/from hotel... and arrange for taxi to wait (extra trip to driver for doing so).

Edited: 18 January 2012, 21:43
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Thank you all for the posts. I will check on private viewing after we adopt. Still wondering if it possible to do the first day after we land at 12:30. We have to go through customs, get to the hotel (also don't know how long that will take even though it doesn't look too far) and then try to get to the orphanage by 5. Is it a possibility?? Also looking for other suggestions if this may seem to be too much on our first day after long flight from D.C. We are pretty adventurous but I have also been told not to miss the market/shops at the hotel.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

You'll have loads of opportunity to shop. if you can get through customs (I've been over two hours just doing this) and across Nairobi (another two hours mid-week) you should try for adoption and private viewing. What day do you land? Hopefully Sunday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distance from Safari Park Hotel to Sheldrick Orphanage

Of course it is Monday we get in. I'm pretty sure we are gonna go for it. We will do adoption tonite. We are getting so excited!!! This is our dream vacation.