We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

salisbury, md
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Topic
worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

hello every one

we are flying into nairobi tuesday early morning flight and were going to take shuttle bus to arusha , any advise from the experts here. is it advisable to take shuttle or wise to get pricision air to arusha. please can some advise asap as we leave tomorrow afternoon for airport in washington d.c. and we need to buy ticket soon in usa

thanks parveen

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

If it were me I'd give serious thought to doing what you're thinking about: i.e., taking a flight down to Arusha. I would be especially inclined to do that if I were arriving NBO early and could simply connect with a Precision flight without leaving the airport (i.e., not having to overnight in Nairobi). Certainly, I think that the bombing is ample reason to consider taking reasonable precautions to get you to Tanzania as quickly and safely as possible.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

I don't agree! This incident would not make me change my plans at all. It is not directed at tourists but at the Kenyans. The next incident could well be at the Airport anyway so where do you avoid next? If you start thinking like that you may as well stay at home! (Not that home is any safer!)

Just get on the shuttle and head for Arusha as normal. Nothing will happen!

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

just get the shuttle bus from the airport to Arusha, I have done it many times, so theres no need to go into the city centre.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

Ditto mfuwe's comments.

Besides, Precision only has a few flights a day... believe 4 and that is day of week dependent. Flight goes into Kilimajaro/JRO for Immigration & Visas (not to Arusha... which is 1/hr west of JRO). Tour operator would have to meet/greet at JRO and add this additional to your costs. Also, Air fare will be about $500 return.

Stay with the shuttle bus.

5. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 11:05
Nairobi
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

I totally disagree with steveb108. Kenya is very safe for all to visit. After last Saturdays incident I don't thin it is fair to talk about bombing which make it sound like Kenya is on war.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

I totally disagree with steveb108. Kenya is very safe for all to visit. After last Saturdays incident I don't thin it is fair to talk about bombing which make it sound like Kenya is on war.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

Why not? That's how it was reported. Bombing... grenade attack...; tom-ay-to... tom-ah-to.

Seems like a staunch refusal to accept the truth, Kisima, I'm afraid. Al Shabaab have declared war on Kenya since our forces went over the border into Somalia, and have allied themselves with Al Qaida, whether Kenyans like you like or accept it, or not.

If you're having a hard time accepting that there are sleeper cells here intent on doing damage, you either have Ostrich Syndrome or are incredibly naive.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

I would disagree with me too if I'd said not to visit Kenya. But I didn't say that. In the context of the post---someone needing to make a very quick decision in the total absence of any information at all as to whether this was a single incident or part of a series of bombings---I said considering alternatives to the bus seemed logical to me. It still does. Nevertheless, in a PM to the poster I advised to await other comments from posters in Europe and Africa who were then offline. With those comments and considering the poster's own comfort with the situation, the poster could make a decision.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 14:35
Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: worried reaching into nairobi tuesday need advise

Well what I would like to know is how parveneer got on?

Happily in Arusha by now and good luck.