We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I apologize if this specific question has been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find it.

I have sponsored an orphan at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and plan to go for a morning visit in June. Will my husband and daughter be allowed to visit the orphanage on a morning visit with my as I have fostered or will they need to be separate/individual sponsors?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

To visit during the public time, the suggested donation is $6-7 per person. If you have adopted an ellie (for $50 per year), you can see the chubby at the parent visitation time of 5-6pm. I don't believe they charge you extra for that.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

As ML above, besides all information is available on the site:

sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/fostering.asp

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

The fee is $ 40 .

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

So, if possible for sponsors, , it's worthwhile to visit both at the public and the evening viewing?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

6. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Feb 21, 2013, 8:40 AM

I too did both tour times during my visit in August 2011, and thoroughly enjoyed both. The Kazuri Bead Factory an Blixen house are very good ideas too. You may also want to stop by the Giraffe Centre in the area.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

The fee is actually $50/year (not $40) for each chubby adopted.

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I'm confused. Somebody earlier posted that visiting during public time the suggested donation was $5 - $6 but now you are saying it's $40. I looked at the website but can't find any information of fees.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Public visit is about $5 per person. If you decide to adopt an elephant for $50 a year, you can also have a free private visit as a foster parent at 5pm. You have to make reservations for the 5pm visit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Dutchie is correct. It is the public visitation from 11-12 that has the fee. If you have the adopted elephant (fee $50 per ellie), then you can call and make reservations. You need the name of your ellie and they will look you up prior to you visit. The 'parent' time is 5-6pm where you will get to meet your ellie up close and talk to the keepers. It's important to note, that if you expect to see your ellie, adopt one from the Nairobi nursery group as others may be at other locations. The 2 visitations are quite different. The public time is very crowded with lots of school children and someone gives a talk about each of the elephants. I enjoyed both times, but the parent time to me is more fun.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Also, be aware that for the 5pm visits it isn't really totally 'private.' Many people adopt the same chubby and depending on when you visit, there can be a few others also visiting yours. But once inside, you can visit many of the other babies and their handlers.

When we visited, we located in a private area some really little ones... a few days/weeks old, not even listed yet for fostering, as there was no guarantee whether they'd survive. And even if they eventual do, as they get older it's not unusual that some still don't make it, whether due to illness, breathing issues or just heartbroken being away from their mum and other family members.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 22:17