We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Kenya

Hartford...
13 posts
Save Topic
First time trip to Kenya

Hello!

I am taking a first time trip to Kenya this summer for about two weeks. I'd love to hear about your favorite attractions as well as anything to stay away from. I think that for 4-5 of the days,we may go to mombasa-- I see that flying down there is better than driving. Do you agree that is a good length of time?

I'm interested in seeing the culture, history, and wildlife in Kenya. I'm also interested in taking a safari for maybe one night ( but preferably one that I can sleep in a lodge.) Any suggested companies? Thank you! I look forward to hearing about your great experiences.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 15:56
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I agree with all the commentators above, who have spent far longer than the year I have been living in Kenya. I have to say that living in Nairobi I would recommend spending as little there as possible. The whole point of visiting Kenya is to go on safari,

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Personally I would fly into Malindi, and then go to Watamu to stay. Much nicer than Mombasa. Lots of good things to see in Watamu. Snorkeling at the marine park, mangrove canopy walk, Arabuko Sokoke Forest, diving, dolphin watching, and snake farm. Enjoy your trip.

bevelry hils
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I arrive early afternoon to Wilson Airport from Masa and have a 13 hr layover until flight at 3 am from Nairobi International Airport. Any suggestions on what to do sightseeing wise, and if there are any fine hotels where we can check our bags until leave for airport. What suggestions regarding transportation throughout the day and to the international airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time trip to Kenya

We stayed at giraffe manor while in Nairobi.. 2 nights.. LOVED it!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Most people enjoy going to Daphne Sheldrck elephant orphanage when they arrive in Nairobi. However I've never been there. Please avoid going to the center if you possibly can. I'm glad that you giraffe manor.

You'll be taxing taxis during the daytime. Please bargain hard.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,817 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I am happy to read the herds should be (hopefully!) arriving in the Mara when we are there in mid July....I keep reading it is 'August to September' or 'late July' that the Great Migration starts!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I hope that you get to see them. I wish you good luck.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,817 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Thank you, I am sure it will be amazing! A trip of a lifetime. :) We are staying from July 7 to 15th out in the Mara at a tented cottage camp run by a charity. Will be doing two safaris, helping build a school, visiting a farm, a Maasai village, many other things. Very excited.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First time trip to Kenya

I'm delighted that you'll get to learn so much about the culture of the Masai . Your kindness and generosity will certainly be returned. Of course I hope that you have a spectacular trip.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,817 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First time trip to Kenya

Thank you again!