We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another tipping question

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Another tipping question

Yes, I've read the guidelines posted. Just need a little clarification. Driving to and from the airports....to Eka hotel... How much would I tip my pre arranged driver? And when I have a driver for the entire day to visit sites around Karen, what would be suggested. I prefer to do all my tipping in 500 KSH increments if that is feasible? Thanks.

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Another tipping question

it is down to you what you tip and the service you receive

if i get good service then i tip. if the sevice is poor then i dont

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another tipping question

Bobbi, usually for an airport transfer I would not tip. For the day in Karen, between Kshs 500-1000 depending on what level of service you get. For the full day in Karen, if you can buy your driver lunch.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another tipping question

Thanks for the advise. Yes, I planned on inviting the driver to lunch!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another tipping question

The Eka is a 10-15/miin drive (as I recall traffic doesn't tend to back-up till right past the Eka, so if you wish $2-3 is ok, though even here in NYC, that's a bit high; for entire day in Karen or other sightseeing and shopping, can be anywhere between $5-10.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another tipping question

Roadwarrior... Would the tip for my driver in Nairobi be per person or total? Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
112 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another tipping question

I am always over generous when tipping in Kenya - believing that it makes more difference to them to have it than to me to spend it.

Go with your instinct if you think they have been extra nice be extra generous!

7. Re: Another tipping question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 06:17