We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

mcshortie
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

Hello,

I'm looking for an affordable hotel recommendation close to NBO. I will be arriving a day earlier than the rest in travelers in my group, and need to need to make accomodation/transfer arrangements on my own for that first evening before meeting up with my group back at NBO the next day. Any suggestions for a single female traveler traveling alone? This will be my first trip to Kenya.

Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

The Fairview in NBO or the charming 6/rm Macushla House in Karen. The latter is preferred by many solo travelers especially women.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

Since you mentioned a hotel "close to NBO" and then "meeting up with my group back at NBO" are you wanting to stay near the Nairobi airport (which is NBO)? If so, the Fairview or Macushla House are not near the airport but more near Nairobi central or in the Karen area. If you want to stay near the airport, there are hotels such at Ole Sereni (ok, but not a favorite of mine) and the newer Eka Hotel (which I've not stayed at). Both are close to the airport.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

So many hotels can do, what is your budget? There are Five Star Hotels like Hilton, Sarova Stanley, Nairobi Serena, etc and 3 Star Hotels and 1 star hotels... Regards, Peter Oluoch, http://dvcaf.uonbi.ac.ke

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

Hotels close to the airport are Panari, Eka, Ole Serena, Red Cross Boma & Country Lodge. If you want something less formal, consider Wildebeest Camp in Langata.

There's Fairvew & serena closer to town.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

Isn't the Country Lodge the one that connects to the Fairview? If so, that's not really by the airport. The Fairview is lovely but not inexpensive. If at the Country Lodge, it's more basic, but you can make the short walk to the grounds of the Fairview and use their restaurants, pool, etc.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

As a single female, I've been happy at the ACK Guest House which is almost next to the Fairview, but much cheaper. (Anglican Church of Kenya). However, it is not "near to the Airport". Where will your group be staying when they arrive?

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

Thank you guys for all your recommendation

Manchester-by-the-Se...
Level Contributor
366 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

I stayed at the Eka as a solo female traveler in February and it was perfectly fine and very convenient for both the airport and the airstrip for flights out to safari.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

ole serani ,you wont be disappointed

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Recommendation for Solo Female

You can give it a try - if you know the hotel where your group is staying, contact them direct and inquire if they can provide you a 'special' rate the the 1/nt. No harm asking. Then you don't have to concern yourself with changing from one to the other. Not only by rate but also taxi fare for the change.