We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just a lil bit worried

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Topic
just a lil bit worried

Hi Guys,

I've planned a trip to Kenya in the beginning of September but lately there are only negative news coming from Kenya.

Are there locals there that can explain the situation there? And any tips for a foreigner going to Kenya?

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

Lai

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just a lil bit worried

The media love negative news!! Yes, you need to take sensible precautions, just as you would anywhere in the world. However, Kenya is a wonderful country and you'll love it.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just a lil bit worried

Hi,

I am in Nairobi right now and have not felt unsafe. I have been to the usual attractions Nairobi has to offer.

I went to the Galleria Mall today to buy another suitcase to take my purchases home, LOL! I am female and am here solo. I have not gone out night as there is nothing close to my lodge.

I arranged for a driver for airport transfers and touring. It sure seems as it is business as usual here in Nairobi.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 15:39
Hanover
Level Contributor
231 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just a lil bit worried

Leaving today and no worries~!

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just a lil bit worried

Have been living in Kenya for almost a year now and as asifiwe said, if you take sensible precautions you will be fine.

Kenya is a great place for a holiday. Where will you be going?

Edited: 06 August 2014, 16:24
Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just a lil bit worried

Hi all!

Thanks for the positive news! We are reassured now because we were really looking forward to our trip to Kenya but due to negative news we were anxious about it.

hope it'll be as nice as told by everyone on this forum.

Thanks again!

Brussels, Belgium
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: just a lil bit worried

@bettina: we'll go to Lake Elmenteita and royal mara safari lodge.

Lai

nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just a lil bit worried

When it comes to the media, whether TV or print... 'if it bleeds, it leads'

They're not taught, let alone eventually learn, how to tell/write about 'good stuff.'

Go and enjoy.

8. Re: just a lil bit worried

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 12:34
Pune
Level Contributor
88 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just a lil bit worried

Going in two days. Only thing worrying me is that hope I have not missed anything to pack. Super excited. Wishing you an amazing safari :)

10. Re: just a lil bit worried

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17