We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamu, Kenya

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lamu, Kenya

Hi - Travelling to Kenya in late August and using Malindi as a base. We are hoping to stay in Lamu Town for 1-2 nights and wonder what is the best way to get there from Malindi and whether we should think about booking accommodation in advance. Grateful for any feedback.

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamu, Kenya

You can go from Malindi by road but it is a long bumpy journey and then the ferry crossing. The road can be dangerous (bandits).

I would fly - look at Mombasa Air Safaris web site.

I would also book accomodation in Lamu before going but am sure you would find somewhere if you didn't. It would just cut down on your choices if you don't book.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamu, Kenya

You can fly with Fly540 for $60USD oneway and this can be booked over the internet. Leaves Malindi at 12.15 daily to Lamu and returns 12.55 daily Lamu to Malindi.

If you prebook your accommodation they will meet you at the airport as you need to get a boat across to Lamu Island. August is also peak time, so prices more expensive.

What is your budget as there are quite a few places but they vary in price.

It maybe worth staying 3-4 nights as it would be nice to spend a day on a dhow trip around the isalnds, a day wandering around Lamu Town and surrounds etc and maybe a day at Shela Beach relaxing etc.

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamu, Kenya

Thanks - We had not considered flying but it seems very reasonably priced. I think we will stay for at least two nights and will book in advance. I've been looking at a couple of guest houses in Shela (mid-range cost) and have emailed for availability etc. (looking forward to going so much - need some sun!!).

schoten belgique
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamu, Kenya

if you use malindi as a base you should consider lamu town instead of shella

shella and mailindi are two real beach destinations while old town offers so much more . more interaction with the locals , nicer , cheaper , restaurants , beach at 5 minutes by boat . cultur , lots of dhows to rent , just more funn

5. Re: Lamu, Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question