We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Topic
scuba diving

Is there scuba diving on Lamu Island or do I need to go to Watamu?

How far is Watamu from Lamu and how can I get there?

Cheers, Lynn from Canada

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving

hi starfish-8 banana house lamu

jannat house/kijani house/lamu house.

or go to african-horizions.com hope that is some help

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving

@Lynn,

not aware of any scuba diving schools on Lamu but try to google it.

As you said Watamu would be a alternative for diving(personally haven't dived there but heard that there is quite good diving available).

All dives will be in the Watamu Marine Park and Reserve. Check out the following link.

http://www.diveinkenya.com/

In terms of travel cheapest option is taking a bus from mainland Lamu to Watamu(ca.250 km) and takes several hours.If money is no object you can fly from Lamu to Malindi and then ca.45' matatu journey.

Enjoy your holiday/diving,

Chuchu

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving

There was a dive school in Shela but it closed a few years ago as the guy couldn't make it a viable business. Best bet will be Mailindi/Watamu

schoten belgique
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving

there is no dive school in lamu altough diving is great around kinyka rock and further to kiwayu .

lamu house can probably arrange some dives , they have all the material and i believ there is dive master .

diving is due to visibilty onlt possibke betwen november and april

5. Re: scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 05:15