We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Redondo Beach...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Hello, My brother is currently studying abroad in Kenya and needs help planning out his last couple of weeks. He is backpacking, so would like inexpensive ways to see the astern coast. What is the best way for him to get from nairobi to Lamu? I noticed Akamba buses don't service this route.

Is there a regional bus company, possibly geared towards european/american backpackers that stops in the major towns along the coast?

I found there is a good train service from nairobi-mombasa so i think that would be a good option one way. He said he will figure out where to stay when he arrives.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
527 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Hi,

Mash Bus (phone 0733929626) is a good company to travel from Nairobi to Mombasa. They charge 800 KES to 900 KES (depending on the bus). They also have night busses so that you brother could catch the bus to Lamu same day. Travelling from Mombasa to Lamu good companies are Tawakal (700 KES; departure times 7 am, 9:30 am and 11 am) or opposite Tawakal Office there is Tahmeed Bus (phone 0710497979). They charge 500 KES to 600 KES. Departure time should be 8:30 am and 10:30 am. The offices are in Mombasa, Abdel Nasser Road.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

I thought Akamba did the Mombasa - Lamu route? Although you realise its not actually Lamu, but just to the ferry terminal on the mainland and then you need a ferry to Lamu.

In anycase I've used Tawakal bus to go from Lamu - Mombasa, and they seem fairly reliable.

The road has been greatly improved along the coast now, and is a paved road well north of Malindi. This makes it alot quicker than the old dust track that was frequently washed away (anyone else remember those days!!)

Brad

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Brad, I do indeed! First went up there in 1981. There used to a lot of wildlife near the road and people we met in Lamu saw lions. . . Hard to believe now.

At least there's no bridge, and the town's feel hasn't changed much. But if this new commercial port is actually built – further north I think – that could be bad news for tourism and local culture.

Richard

Edited: 13 August 2010, 18:43
Mentioned in this post
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Nairobi
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

I would not recomment the bus to Lamu! Even if i were a back packer i would advise your brother to either save up and travel by air or to forget about Lamu altogether.

There are a couple of bus services from Mombasa to Lamu however these are not very safe especially for foreigners and are not in excellent road condition and are not reliable either. En route to Lamu from Mombasa there is a certain stretch which is considered unsafe by the Kenyan government therefore you may have to be accompanied by the army officers (i don't think this sounds interesting) and also arriving at mokowe can be drama with touts pestering you to allow them carry your luggage and later demand for obscene amounts of money.

Atleast if you fly, you are assured of a "meet and great" service at the airstrip by the hotel staff of where you may be staying!

Yolanda

Mentioned in this post
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

If you're counting the pennies, I wouldn't rule out using the bus. There's no reason to think there's anything more unsafe about the Mombasa-Malindi-Lamu bus route for tourists than for locals. And there hasn't been an incident of banditry for quite a few years, as far as I know (yolanda, do you have any information on recent security issues?).

And the kind of traveller who takes the bus is unlikely to fall for scams by touts at the Mokowe jetty trying to carry their bags.

In short, either bus or air is a practical option - it's up to the individual.

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

there is no report of any problems between Malindi and lamu lets say last three years, this said ,it is a dusty , bumpy road and there is in between option.

take the bus to malindi , then fly (only 15 minutes) from malindi to lamu

get your tickets at www.fly540.com

not very expensive ,

Mentioned in this post
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
27 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Hi there,

I have used the Tawakal bus to lamu occasionally and they are reliable.The banditry cases were isolated and have never occured again as far as i know so saying that "even if im a backpacker i would fly or forget about lamu altogether" as Yolanda said,is a personal choice depending on your beliefs.Anyway if your brother is under a budget i don't see the reason to fly as riding in a bus is the cheaper alternative.

And talking about safety/accommodation i would urge people to seek opinions from people who have tried something rather than reading pre-conceived notions.Im headed to Lamu next week and i'll post on the current situation regarding your query.

Mentioned in this post
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

I just took the bus from Lamu to Mombasa on Saturday Jan 22 the road has been greatly improved over the last 8 months since I last travelled it by tawakal service a honest description would be " it's just fine" and very safe they don't even use the military guards any more.

Mentioned in this post
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
979 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

I travelled from Mokowe to Malindi on the Tawakal bus last Monday and we had two armed police on board.

Mentioned in this post
Malindi
Malindi
Coast Province, Kenya
Calgary
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

How long is the bus ride from Mombasa to Lamu ferry terminal?

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Lamu Island
Lamu Island
Coast Province, Kenya
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island