We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redondo Beach...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Hello, My brother is currently studying abroad in Kenya and needs help planning out his last couple of weeks. He is backpacking, so would like inexpensive ways to see the astern coast. What is the best way for him to get from nairobi to Lamu? I noticed Akamba buses don't service this route.

Is there a regional bus company, possibly geared towards european/american backpackers that stops in the major towns along the coast?

I found there is a good train service from nairobi-mombasa so i think that would be a good option one way. He said he will figure out where to stay when he arrives.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

You're very welcome.I don't think it matters what way you decide to take the train or bus but if you decide to take the train,be aware that they depart late afternoon/early evening so you'll not be able to see much for most of the trip. You will need to check the train schedule because they may not have daily service just to make sure.If you want to see some scenary between Lamu and Mombasa(whichever direction you choose),you should take the day bus. Two months of travelling in Uganda,Kenya,and South America sounds like alot of fun.When are you planning on departing for Africa?I'm not trying to scare you,but please make sure that you have anti-malarial medications handy just in case.Chances are you may not need them but it would be good to have them.

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Thanks. All covered, already looked at the trains and am half way through getting my jabs and pills. Will most definitely need Malaria tablets in Uganda, it's a class 4 country for Malaria.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Sounds like you got everything situated prior to your leaving for the two-month adventure.By the way,when are you leaving?I'm hoping that we've all given you the info you needed to make informed decisions and if you have any more questions,please feel free to ask.

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Beginning of September.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

I go with the bus everytime.

Coast bus is the best unlike Mash...it doesnt stop along the way and goes straight to the destination,lots of tourists travel in them,if you are a tourist,why fly?

Buses,expecially Coast Bus is one of the buses one can never regret travelling with!

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

Great, thanks Sidney.

47. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2011, 01:44
48. Re: Hop on/Hop off bus service from Lamu to Mombasa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island