We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money estimate for Lamu

Which Lamu Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Spending Money estimate for Lamu

I'm traveling to Lamu on a bit of a budget. I've got flights, accommodation and breakfast sorted but I was wondering if anybody can give me a guideline on what sort of spending money one should plan to have in Lamu. What's the average daily US$ amount required for entry to a couple of museums, a nice dinner somewhere, some lunch & drinks and perhaps a boat trip or tour of sorts.... Any ideas? Are we talking $100 per day or will $50 per day be enough? Any other suggestions, recommendations and/or advice would be very much appreciated. (Travel dates 13 - 16 June 2011)

Thanks

Safarijeanne

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

You can always alternate your stay btwn Shela & Lamu. 1 night in Shela & 2 nights in Lamu...

Stef

Europe
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

We stayed in Msafini hotel in Shela..after we checked accomodation in Lamu town..We did not like staying in Lamu town..smelly, dirty and busy. If you will be going in June..the rain is possible. We arrived on 1-st of July and rain had just finnished. Most of hotels were still closed. The sea should be warm but dirty from sand-no visibility (because of raining snorkling is not possible at all)

We had great time on Lamu islands!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
26 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

Hi,

There seems to be a tussle between marketing Lamu and Shela here.Im a Kenyan resident and I make a trip to Lamu every year,i can vouch that Lamu is a better place to stay than Shela,infact one of the best spots along the kenyan coast.Shela may boast of all swanky hotels and houses for rent but that is not what most tourists are looking for when making a maiden trip to Lamu,they're looking for that culture experience that is found in the stone age town,the narrow streets,the museums,etc.Im in no way suggesting that Shela is not worth a visit but Lamu is just out of this world,extra ordinary.Lamu house is upto standard in terms of accommodation and you can go visit Shela everyday from Lamu.

Then again,contrary to what Stef is sayin,the budget in Lamu is lower than what you'd spend staying in Shela.About constant harassment by the local touts,how do you expect them to make a living if not by going to the harbour everyday to sell dhow trips and accommodation offers.You will even learn the art of bargaining from them and ofcourse if you don't want to get ripped off by hotels on pre-arranged dhow trips then these boys are the way to go,atleast you negotiate.

On dining and wining,there are plenty of good affordable places in Lamu,whether its seafood or local cuisine,very fresh.Just ask the local staff in Lamu House and they will recommend good places.

Enjoy your stay in Lamu.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

You guys have completely confused Gyongyike.

And now, he's probably considering another destination...

Stef

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
26 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

This is a travel forum we are not confusing anyone just airing our genuine opinions on what we think of a place.Both Lamu and Shella are worth a visit.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

Stef, do you not think that you may have started any 'confusion' when your very first post advised Gyongyike to stay in Shela rather than Lamu Town when the OP had already stated that they had their accommodation booked? Your post started the Shela v Town debate.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 09:28
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

Gyongyike - say something...

Pls. tell us what you've decided on your trip to Lamu ? Stef

Edited: 27 May 2011, 13:48
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

I completely dissagree with STEFANILARDA. yes, Lamu town is not the cleanest places, but most of Africa isn't. Shella is good if you only want the beach. Lamu on the other hand is much more "alive", interesting and local. stay in Lamu town. if you're looking for clean and sterile environment stay out of Africa completely. dirt comes with the whole package.

19. Re: Spending Money estimate for Lamu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2012, 05:39
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island