We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicherheit in Lamu

Ludwigshafen...
7 posts
Save Topic
Sicherheit in Lamu

Hi,

could you please help me understanding how safe Lamu and its beaches are? what if you are a woman travelling alone? can you walk alone on the beach and be safe?

Is Mkoko House far from the beach? from the center? how safe is the way?

Thanks

Giolly

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Oh great, here come the scaremongers. Air France is not safe! (because of AF447 and Concorde). Lamu is not safe! (because of one isolated incident - in Kiwayu).

As most on here will know, I work in private security - and my coast holidays are *always* taken on Lamu (Manda Island) and will continue to be. From a security perspective, you're still far safer at the coast than here in Nairobi. Let's not blow this out of proportion please.

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

I agree , why make this incident bigger than it is

Kiwayu Safrai village is a very isolated place , by dhow i will take you a long day to travel from lamu to the ressort where the icident took place.

Lamu was , is and will be safer than most places in the world , we recently spend a week in Mumbai , at the hotel were several people lost their live in a terrorist attack. Should i have stayed home ?

i had a great time , and everybody going to Lamu will have a fantastic holiday .

for the panic preachers on this site , stay were you are , and dont judge what you dont know. i was not in London why it burned a couple of weeks ago , i have an opinion about it , but would not think on not going there anymore because of what happend, neither will stay out of New York after 9.11 . i plan to vist Marakech , to dangerous after the bombs earlier this year ? please advice as a lot on his forum seems to be safety advisers

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,535 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Leeds,

TA also delete threads that are not travel related, I think that is the most likely reason it was deleted, from the deletion message it seems that TA members reported it presumably as 'not travel related' or maybe, less likely as 'not family friendly. I must admit I thought that a couple of posts were verging on the voyeuristic or mawkish

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Kileleshwa, I've been to Kenya twice but deliberately avoid areas where there may be problems. There have been warnings about this area for years which I have heeded so this cannot be an isolated incident.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

As far as travel safety goes, it all rather depends on who is behind this and what they plan do do next, if anything. The implications if it is a cross-border kidnapping raid are substantially different from those if it is a local robbery gone wrong. Personally, I would go to Lamu without too much worry, but until you know what is going on (and nobody does) it might be prudent for those in the know about Kenya to be a bit less bullish and much more nuanced for the time being, especially about the more isolated resorts.

Two wrongs won't make it right, for sure.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Yet another kidnapping on Lamu yesterday of a French disabled lady.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,535 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Paul,

there is a long thread about that has been running since yesterday morning

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k4…

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

Aha... didn't notice that Doffcocker but this one has been running since August and the last time I posted here after the previous murder and kidnapping I was accused of scaremongering about Lamu when I knew that there have been warnings for a long long time.

I'm still hoping to visit Kenya in January but will stick around the Mombasa coast area where I would think it is pretty safe as long as usual commonsense precautions are taken.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,393 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

I am just back from Kenya this week.

Any prizes for guessing where I felt most at risk?

On the bloo*y road from Voi to NBO and then on up to Nakuru. No Pirates there, just lunatics behind the wheel of truck that usually sported the legend "Like my driving??!" Too right I did, not!

Passed several trucks including fuel tankers with their wheels in the air.

Slowed down for one and was passed on the inside of a blind bend by a low loader with a Caterpillar on the back. I don't see the FCO warning about that!

Please keep a sense of proprtion. These events grab the headlines but are rare compared to the numbers killed in RTAs.

Just outside JKIA heading into town there was a gridlock. What did some drivers do? Cross the grass between North and South bound lanes and head north on the south bound lane. Of course their dinky little flashing hazard lights were more than adequate protection.

At least there WERE segregrated lanes. You should have been on the drop into the Rift valley on the A104 for real thrills.

30. Re: Sicherheit in Lamu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island