We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamu malaria

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Lamu malaria

Hello !

I'm going to Lamu in August, and have heard that there are very few mosquitoes on the island at that time. Is it essential to take anti-malarials ? I used to hear that there was little malaria on Lamu some years ago, but I haven't been there in many years and it seems the situation has changed. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamu malaria

All you need is one .so take u meds

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamu malaria

There is malaria everywhere in Kenya.... even more so in tropical areas, hot/humid which Lamu is. And mossies fly. All you need is one that happens to be carrying malaria and you will not be a very happy holiday goer. Take your malaria meds as prescribed by your doctor.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamu malaria

never be complacent with those nasty devils - as previous posters tell you ---------Do not take a chance ...I have personally seen the pain and misery only one little bite has caused

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamu malaria

i would say that you can easely come whitout your malaria tablets , very few or no malaria in lamu , i have seen more people having stomac problems because of their drugs , especially malaron , than cases in malaria . be hygenic and dont drink from open water . you can take them or not , few mosquitos here. a you will love Lamu . dont listen to all bad comments , be free and decide what you want .

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamu malaria

Are you a medic Stonne? Rather an irresponsible comment! OP - Consult your doctor or travel clinic for advice and up to date information. Don't take our word for it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamu malaria

During my previous stays in East Africa I have been taking malarone pills. But from current point of view, its not worth taking it. It affects your liver in long term. Repellent and mosquito net is more than needed, specially on the coast. Even if you get bitten, doctors treat malaria so well in Kenya, it can be taken as a cold.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamu malaria

Granted citizens and/or long-term residents might not take malaria meds, but they know almost immediately if they have contracted the disease/know symptoms and get treatment as soon as. Most visitors who happen to get bitten often don't have symptoms till they're home and docs in your home country do not often know the symptoms or proper treatment.

If you'll be on holiday for a few weeks or even months, there is little damage malaria meds will have on your body. In fact, of the many residents I know as friends or business associates in East Africa, every one has had malaria at least one, whether as a child or adult.

Not unusual for staff at hotels/resorts or guides on safari know the symptoms and disappear for a few days for proper treatment.

Rather take the meds, than return home with a souvenir that will remain in your body for years even after treatment.

Hanover
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamu malaria

I am going to Lamu after safari in August and I will be taking meds. Not going to take any chances!

9. Re: Lamu malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2015, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Lamu Island