We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

can anyone tell me this safari is advertised as a family safari we are 4 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 11 is this suitable for a 3 night stay has anyone stayed here if so do these camps have electric in the tents as i need to use medical equipment which needs electricity we have never safaried befor and i think my children will love it just dont want to make mistake thanks

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
979 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

We stayed here a couple of months ago and loved it. It is very peaceful, a beautiful setting, and the tents are not top of each other. Yes, they do have electricity but there were only two sockets, and the bedside lamps were plugged into them. It does mean, therefore, that if you want to use a socket you can realistically only use one (or be plunged into complete darkness) and suffer the reduced light. The electricity is only available at certain times but you'll find that you are out on safari at the times it is switched off and also during the night but this is normal for whatever lodge you use.

I don't have any kids so don't feel I have the authority to pass comment on child-friendly places. What I will say is that there were definitely a couple of children there when we stayed but, apart from the pool, there is nothing to keep them occupied if you were there during the day.

We found the distance to Sekanani Gate into the Mara was a big disadvantage with this camp, about 30 minutes on rough roads, though once you've experienced the road from the Rift Valley down to the Mara another piece of bad road is no big deal - unless you're flying in then you could find it uncomfortable. It does mean that you would be better off with one longer drive each day rather than two shorter ones. The Masai live in this area so the drive to the gate is interesting - for the first couple of times.

I would think that a lodge within the park would be better for you with the children. Your drive starts the minute you come out of the lodge so they don't get bored. Somewhere like Keekorok that has animals wandering through the grounds (no danger), and a waterhole to observe, would be ideal. But, hey, who am I to give you an opinion?!!

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

thanks for the advise what was your virgin flight like cos thats who the trip is with did you upgrade or cattle class{im not a snob honest}regards jacqueine

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

The previous poster named the #1 reason not to stay at Siana Springs.. it is an extra half hour - at least - over rough roads just to get into the Masai Mara reserve. It is pretty, big tents, bushbucks on the lawns.. but I suggest you ask about the additional costs to be in the reserve.

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

thanks for the advise will look into all angles

jacqueline

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
979 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

Jacqueline,

Can't tell you about the Virgin flight as we booked independently and flew with BA. We haven't used Virgin yet, always having flown Kenya or BA to Nairobi but we've taken the plunge and will be using Virgin next February.

I made a post a couple of weeks ago asking for feedback on Virgin so you can have a look at that.

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

thanks

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

Hi - we stayed at Siana Springs for 3 nights last week, 23 - 26 September and loved it. There was a family of 5 from New Zealand there and the children looked to be about the same age as yours. They had a whale of a time. The camp has an Adventurers Club for youngsters and the entertainment manager is a local Masai guy who tells them about the Masai people, takes them on walks and explains things to them. One night we had a demonstration of Masai dancing from the local Masai village who involved all the children in a Masai naming ceremony and they just loved it. They can also go on nature trails or do various other activities (at extra cost). They had a family tent so I guess there may be more than just one electric socket in those. We had one double socket between our two beds, but the electricity is off from 16.00 to 18.00 each day and from midnight until 5.30 so you may need to take that into consideration for your medical equipment. They had their own guide and landrover to themselves and we bumped into them (not literally) several times and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves. There is a small swimming pool as well and a hide

which I am sure the children will enjoy and it's great fun to watch the monkeys play, but make sure you don't feed them otherwise you'll never get rid of them, as our neighbours found out.

True the camp is 30 minutes away from the Mara gates, but we had 2 fantastic game drives in the conservation area on the camps doorstep and saw hyena steal a kill from a leapard and 3 young male cheetahs resting in the grass, not to mention the usual zebra, impala, dik dik etc. We enjoyed the drive from the camp to the Mara, past the small villages and even gave some school children a lift to school one day, one of them being lame. The drives in the conservation area were 2 hours roughly, but on the drives to the Mara we either took a picnic breakfast or lunch and staye.

Our guide was Rollex, who was just amazing. He knew so much about the animals, their habits and each drive involved a little quiz to make us think, sometimes silly things such as why some dung is flattened and others not (which the children will probably enjoy!) and was not due to the fact that an animal had trodden on it!

The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough to help. Food was good as well. Hope that helps and you have a wonderful time.

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

thank you it sound realy great fun my youngest says he wants to go to see the hippos but doesnt want to go cos hell have to take malaria tablets but he is only allowed coke on holiday purely for the benefit of keeping him awake and making him better what better bribe is there than a glass of coke and a malaria tablet {call social service} lolmany thanks and we are definatly going next july than to zanzibar for 7 days i have emailed virgin to see about the electric but they havnt replied yet regards jacqueline

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

You can also e-mail Siana Springs direct at 'siana@africaonline.co.ke' if you want to ask them anything direct. Forgot to mention they also have an Adventurers play area (bit like a mini assault course) if you find time to use it in between drives!

northumberland
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: siana springs camp/ ngama hills family safari

thanks crystal

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics