We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kicheche in November

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kicheche in November

We are thinking of taking a safari tour staying at the Kicheche lodge in early November, which seems to have very good reviews. The one thing we are worried about is the position of the camp and the likelihood of seeing game there in November. I've read some comments that suggest it's only good during the migration.

Has anyone any experience of the camp in this part of the season or can offer any advice on this?

Many thanks,

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kicheche in November

Actually, I think it's more the other way around. During migration being in the western section inside the reserve gives you easier access to the crossing points whereas it's at least a 1.5 hour drive from Kicheche to the reserve gate.

I've stayed at Kicheche and another camp near the reserve in November and found the overall game viewing to be better inside the reserve at that time of year. This could be attributed to either luck or the fact that after the migration is over, the Maasai bring their cattle herds back to graze in this area which competes with other grazing animals or a combination of both. This is just an unscientific theory of mine based on a very limited amount of time spent in the area, so I'd be interested to hear from others who are more knowledgeable.

The other thing I feel I need to point out is that during our stay there was burning going on in anticipation of the short rains (so there will be new shoots when the rains arrive) and I found the smoke irritating on occasion. Again, I would be interested to hear from others who have stayed here during the same time of year to see if anyone else experienced this.

None of this is meant to be a criticism of the camp itself which had a great atmosphere and we liked that we had split our stay in order to experience different areas. We also went on a walking safari with an overnight spent at a fly camp they set up which we couldn't have done if we'd stayed inside the reserve. Having said that, if we could only stay in one area at this time of year, I'd pick inside or very near the reserve itself.

Anyway, that's my take and I'm sure you'll get differing opinions on this.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kicheche in November

Not stayed there at this time of year, but there is certainly a lot of local game. It's about an hours drive to a crossing but we had plenty of sightings near camp. The local pride of lions is very large and we saw some wonderful bird life.

I agree with the comment above about food, it was plentiful and very nice!

3. Re: Kicheche in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 22:20
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics