We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mara camp in mid January?

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge
2 posts
Save Topic
Which Mara camp in mid January?

Hi all

Me & my wife (in our 30s) are planning to visit Kenya in mid-January 08. We would like to spend 3-4 nights on a safari. Price wise we are looking at mid-range options, and would like to fly wherever possible since I hear the roads in Kenya are pretty bad. A friend told us about Porini camps. These look good on the website but seem on the expensive side. Questions:

- What would be good places for that time of the year? I would prefer small intimate camps (not lodges). We could do 2 nights in one & 2 in another place.

- Are Porini camps worth it? Which would be the 2 camps to go for?

- Has anyone done a multi-day Walking Safari? This sounds really good but is it safe (all those lions!!)?

Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

hi,

we have compiled a list of camps on our blog with pics and a map some of which contributed by other ta's of there location.

anadventureinafrica.com/traveltipsandcamps.h…

i hope this helps in your choice,our favourite is basecamp explorer.

agy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

Porini Camps are lovely and about the going price for camps during January travel. I'd choose Porini Lion vs Porini Mara.

If you'll only be spending 3-4/nts on safari, and unless you want to visit/stay at Porini camps in the Mara and at Amboseli, stay in the Mara for the entire time.

Multi-day walking safaris are rarely done in "lion country." But do you want to be camping out at night in basic camps, with hole in the ground loos and makeshift showers? Different kind of experience.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

You could look into Ilkeliani, Basecamp or Kicheche which should be less expensive than the Porini camps. Basecamp and Kicheche offer walking safaris where you overnight at their fly camp. You usually do not attempt to get close to big game on walks but rather spend time looking at things that you may miss from a vehicle. I'd say they're generally safe, but no one can ever guarantee your complete safety and I'd be more concerned about elephants and lone male buffalo than lions.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

Hi,

I agree with Patty,elephants or buffalo will be your biggest danger as for lions,not a problem unless you run away then there instinct is to chase you,from personal experience while on our ranger training in SA a few years ago we made our camp in the bush complete with fire and when it got dark we had a pride of 5 lions join us around the camp not more than 25 m away,they stayed for hours and the roars and calls made the ground vibrate, at no time did we feel threatened and is was a mega experience.

We stayed at basecamp last time in mara and will go again as it is run by masai and a great spot, a hyena kill outside of tent 1.

There are some pics of the campon our blog and also our trip there, if you look on the blog it is in august.

hope this helps you make up your mind.

anadventureinafrica.com/traveltipsandcamps.h…

anadventureinafrica.com/2006kenyablog1527/bl…

agy

Cambridge
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

Thanks everyone, this is definitely helpful. Sandy why do you say you'd prefer Porini Lion to Porini Mara?

Also, could anyone recommend camps in Amboseli (now thinking about 2 nights in Mara + 2 nights Amboseli - for the elephants)

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

I loved the Tortilis Camp

the The unpolluted night sky is breathtaking... Beauitifully situated with wonderful views of Mt Kilimanjaro - Just look up and up and ......

I should think that the Acacia trees where the tents are should be fully grown and make this place even more beautiful

Take a guided walk We were supposed to go out for 2-3 hours and stayed for 4 wonderful

7. Re: Which Mara camp in mid January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics