We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any vegetarians stayed in Masai Mara?

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any vegetarians stayed in Masai Mara?

Me and my partner are both vegetarian so we're a bit worried if food-wise, we will be catered for? We haven't chosen our accommodation yet but I've heard so many people compliment the food that I really don't want to miss out!

I know some countries just don't recognise vegetarian cuisine at all and as we've never been to Kenya, I don't know if this is the case here??

I want to be well prepared as I don't want to pay all that money and not be able to eat for a week and I also don't want to come across as fussy to the staff.

Any advice from previous veggie travellers will be greatly appreicated. Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any vegetarians stayed in Masai Mara?

Vegetarians are easily accommodated.

Just advise when arranging and booking what you can/can't (won't) eat and you're set.

Fruits and veggies are the best (yummy) and perfectly safe.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any vegetarians stayed in Masai Mara?

Hi Mazzyauds

My husband and I are both vegetarian and we went to Kenya last year and Rwanda this year.

We travelled with Exodus to Kenya and Kuoni to Rwanda. We made each company aware of this at the time of booking and also ordered vegetarian meals on the flights.

In Kenya we were at Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara. We had no problem at all with the food. Our guide asked the group on this first day if anyone had special dietary requests. The food was brilliant. We stayed at a lodge which was buffet style and then we stayed in a small tented camp. The camp staff made us, and one other person who was vegetarian, a special main course fro every meal. One of the days we were out in the Mara all day and took a packed lunch and they had made quiche with meat and also vegetarian quiche. It was the best quiche I have ever tasted!!

We were also concerned about appearing fussy, especially in a country where there is so much poverty, but we would have been quite prepared to eat just veg, potatoes, bread etc with nothing special made for us. You will definitely not go hungry. Rwanda was just as good and the food was excellent.

We found that everyone completely understood about being vegetarian, which is more than I can say for the Americans. We have travelled extensively in America and we were shocked at how appalling the choice was at times.

You will have a fantastic time and meet the nicest people anywhere on earth.

3. Re: Any vegetarians stayed in Masai Mara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 02:20
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics