We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup....

Gig Harbor, WA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
World Cup....

I know that prices are expected to be around 2x higher next summer for a South African safari, but do you think Kenya will be more expensive as well due to the influx of tourists? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup....

Prices are more likely to drop than to rise.

The 2010 world cup will have no real influence on prices .

Fuel prices are dropping, there is a recession in Europe and there won't be a 'huge' influx of tourists.

Bed occupancy has been at best 30% throughout the year with hoteliers encouraging 'local tourists' by dropping their prices sharply thus making little profit.

And for the British with the economy in a shambles and the ever weakening £ against the Kenyan shilling it is making Kenya a more expensive destination.

November 1st 2008 £1=132Ksh.

January 23rd 2009 £1=108Ksh.

The strong dollar is a plus for any American tourists.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup....

Hi,

I wouldn't have thought it would have any effect, its around 1800 miles from Nairobi to Joburg which is almost half the diatsnce between London or Paris and Nairobi (around 4000). Most European visitors are on package tours, the majority of the rest of visitors are (I would guess) American and 'soccer' isn't as big in the States as the rest of the world. So I would have thought only effect the World Cup would have is if people who might have gone on safari to Africa switch to Kenya

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: World Cup....

Hi

I think Kenya will benefit from World Cup. The World Cup starts in June and finishes in July, a perfect time to catch the migration in Kenya. The profile of the average attendee is probably male, relatively affluent, high proportion of corporate groups. So I think safaris will be very popular. Also, a lot of the world still sees Africa as one country (or close together). This will probably be a lot of peoples' only trip to the continent. It may also be easier to route flights via East Africa (at least one way) than go direct or through Europe.

I don't think that Southern Africa (especially with the situation in Zim) has enough camps to handle the masses and people will turn to Kenya - especially with the wildebeest migration.

Whether this is enough to drive up prices, I'm not sure, as occupancies are low at the moment. It depends what happens with the economy, fuel prices and the political situation in Kenya - 18 months is too far away to predict.

Regards

Safarimapper

Disclosure - owner: www.virtual-safari.tv

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Cup....

I would think that June/July is a bit early for the migration to arrive in Kenya August-October is the best time for the migration. In June you might find some of the animals from Loita hills moving into the Mara but not the Serengeti herds.

5. Re: World Cup....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics