We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day hol - is it too far??

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
7 day hol - is it too far??

we only have 7 days hols left and i cant wait until 2010 to go on safari! i was planning around a 3 night/4 day safari. probably Tsavo at Galdessa.

My hubby thinks its too far for 7 days as that just leaves a couple of days on the coast. Anyone travelled to mombassa just for the week or should hold off for the fortnight next year?

Thanks !

dundee/scotland
Level Contributor
184 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

hi

i dont think we would go for a week.

we are hoping to go next year for two weeks.

as you know you would have to leave from london(i think). so u would have to get down from scotland(like us). i think it would take up to much

travelling, but thats my personal opinion of course

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

would go for two days !!! and I know several people who have only visited for a week - but I can understand your husbands reasoning ... personally I would wait for next year.....

for 7 days it would be very expensive with the cost of your travel down to London - flight over to Kenya - hotel -safari -visa - anti malarials - and Jabs

Plan something special for next year ...

But if you really want to go??????? mmmm

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

thanks for these replies. Its so hard to forget! we have been talking about this for forever so probably best to do it right and spend the fortnight there.

You never know though! thansk again!

London
Level Contributor
178 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

I'm going for a week in June (down to finances and holiday expenses) and I reasoned that although it is a long way to go, at least there isn't the jet lag to get over!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

Nope, no jet lag but it still takes it out of me, usually takes me at least a week to get settled back in !

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
998 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

I think a week is not enough to travel a 10 hour flight we find if only got a week spare somewhere like canary islands or even gambia is better.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

I regularly make that trip for 7 days from the US with the 9 hour time difference -- jet lag and all. You should certainly be fine! I recommend a driving safari from Nairobi to Tsavo for days 1,2 leave for mombasa on 3 and enjoy the rest of your holiday on the beach. Fly from mombasa to Nairobi your day of departure.

Mentioned in this post
bankmoss27
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

We had a 7 day holiday to Mombasa in December. We flew out from Manchester, with the flight being overnight which seemed to help.

Whilst there we did a two day/one night safari.

Was it too far for a week...no not at all.

Would we have stayed for longer......if we could have, yes.

It might also worth considering the type of plane used? The Gambia for example is deemed shorthaul, for Kenya its longhaul. Big difference in the comfort on the plane.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Newcastle
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

We are going for a week, we travel on Feb 15th. Doing 2 night 3 day Safari middle of the week. Could only go for 1 week as its half term kids holidays. My son has just had his 16th Birthday so doing it for him. I am sure we will be back and perhaps do 2 weeks next time.

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day hol - is it too far??

Go for it - but be warned we went for a week 9 years ago and have returned every year since!