We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night drive

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
night drive

I've been to Masai Mara four times but I've never had an opportunity to do a night drive. In another thread I got the impression that this is possible, though - but where?

thanks

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night drive

marabushtops do night drives i think its because its outside the national park ..btw they have a great website you can actually chat to the staff thats on reception ,ref weather/ game sighting etc

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night drive

Night game drives are possible but not inside the reserve itself, although I'm told that the Serena has permission to do night drives in a very limited area. Your best bet is to stay at a camp in one of the conservancies outside the reserve, in the dispersal area. Responsible operators will not use huge spotlights or million candle power lamps as these are damaging to the animals' eyesight.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night drive

Actually even outside the reserve, night drives are now being discouraged by many camps as they're apparently just too disruptive. I can't remember where I read it now, but I think the camps in the Maasai Mara North Conservancy have provisionally agreed to more or less stop them, or at least just to have vehicles back at camp by 8pm, rather than going out again.

Richard

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night drive

I know The Porini Camps via the Africa Sky Agency that are outside the conservancy still advertise night drives but maybe they are changing that and have not updated their info.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night drive

On our first visits to the Mara we went on night drives but last time we were told it had stopped as it was proving to be unsettling to the animals, in my opinion you see so much during the day, driving around at night with a light shining on the animals is not very friendly.

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: night drive

Impiripiri Mara Camp does night game drives just outside the Mara. Leaving camp at 7pm for a two our drive is a great experience. Sometimes a night game drive while returning from a Sundowner is nice also.

An early morning game drive at 5am, while on route to the reserve works as well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: night drive

We did two last week through Bateleur Camp. We did not go out a second time, we stayed out late, once arriving back at camp at about 8:30, the other time they had dinner for us in the bush and after dinner kept out there until about 10 pm. We used a red lens spotlight

8. Re: night drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics