We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

HX1
Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

We are planning a Safari trip for late August and will stay three nights in Maasai Mara. One tour operator has suggested us to stay the first night at Keekorok to reduce the driving time (from Lake Nakuru) and 2 nights at Serena to be close to the Migration. Another operator has suggested to stay all 3 nights at Fig Tree. Can the experts on this forum comment what will best the best arrangement? Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

There's a crossing point right outside of Serena.

Others farther north, in/around where Fig Tree.

Serena is probably a tad more expensive, but if budget allows, I'd go with this for all 3/nts. Their game drives will take you north if need be.

Even if a takes maybe 30/min longer (it's still a game drive) to the Serena, makes no sense to have 1/nt at Keekorok and then move.

Game will be everywhere during August, so don't base where you stay only on "crossings" which some people never see... you're there to enjoy the entire experience.

HX1
Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

Thanks sandi for your reply. What do you think about staying all three nights at Fig Tree instead of Serena? The price are actully quite comparable. Also, the tour operator is pushing me to book right away. How much in advance should I book to secure the room for the month of August?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

August is peak time. So you will need to pay at least a deposit. We are going mid September to Serena Lodge and we paid a deposit when we booked before Christmas.

Best wishes

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

If you want a "camp" (tent) experience, then sure consider Fig Tree. But whichever, spend the 3/nts at the same place.

As to being pushed... you should never feel rushed, but August is peak-season (it'll be here before you know) and to assure the space you want on the dates you wish... then it's important to have agent confirm the space and for you to pay your deposit. Final payment should then be due at least 60/days (some maybe be 45/days) prior arrival.

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

I would not do 1 nt then 2 nts.

If you really want a tent, I'd do Fig Tree. Otherwise Serena. If every dollar counts, have Fig Tree and Mara costs compared and go with lesser.

Either way, you'll have a fantastic time in the Mara in Aug.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

We were in the Mara at the beginning of September. It was a once in a lifetime experience. While we stayed at Bateleur Camp we did stop at Serena. Not a camp but the public spaces looked really, really nice. It is set up high on a hill with a great view and there is a river crossing very close that we spent a few hours at.

If you would like some pictures of Serena Camp sent me a private message with an e-mail address.

HX1
Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

A follow up question to my previous posting. Based on the replies to my previous posting, we have decided to book the Serena lodge. However, we are still on the waiting list for the room to become available. Meantime the Fig Tree has the Ngaboli tent available for confirmation. The prices are very comparable. What are the opinions regarding these two from the people of this fourm? Also, our tour operator said that staying at Fig Tree, the game drive could go either eastern or western side of the Mara. However, at Serena, the drive would be limited to the western side althought the drive would be shorter. Is this true? We will use the driver/guide from the tour operator rather than from the lodge/camp.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

... and if the room at Serena doesn't become available, you'll be scurrying around for space. Granted the lodges usually release any block bookings by 2/months prior arrival, but they can also wait to 1/month prior. I'd keep the waitlist at Serena, but definitely take the space at Fig Tree. But ask your outfitter if this can be a cover booking so they don't have to pay deposit immediately... it may work, or not. But don't, at 3/mo out, leave yourself without a place to lay your head.

As to the driving... get over it. On safari during August there is game everywhere - east, west, north and south - in the Mara, on the conservancy lands. Even if a "crossing" is what you hope to see, there is still no guarantee you will. Besides, 20/min (or even 1/hr) one way or another isn't like the expressway at home, during rush hour. You're on safari, driving is part of the experience You never know what you'll see, come upon, anywhere.

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

Book the room so you are not left hanging. That could really mess up your trip. Nice idea on the cover booking by Sandi.

10. Re: Serena Logdge, Keekorok Lodge or Fig Tree Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 14:05
Edited: 05 May 2010, 14:05
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics