We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January? If so what did you see in the way of animals? We have booked for January but now my day has worried me by saying that we might not see many animals at that time of year. Thank you for your help in advance.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Whoever told you that is talking nonsense! The game is in the Mara year-round. It moves from hour to hour and day to day, and some days you will see more than others, but any half-decent guide will know where the greatest concentrations of game are and take you to them. If you're staying at Little Governors you'll also have the added enjoyment of being on Musiara Marsh, where elephants, waterbuck and a plethora of birdlife come to feed and water. Beautiful location.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

So glad to read an expert's opinion of Little Governor's, particularly as we will be there on Monday, 27 September, BA permitting!

Yippee!!!!

PS To cross thread, we've also previously been on the balloon trip from there & agree it's well worth it. We prebooked before we left the UK.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

wish you'd stop boasting that you going in just over a week....I'm not jealous in the slightest.....not at all.....not even a little bit....zilch

:o)

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Sabroc, sorry. It's all a brave front, I'd much rather stay here & admire the FROST which we had this morning. Shall I send you our tickets?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Unlike you who are going on holiday to Kenya, the game in the Masai Mara do not, nor have a time-share somewhere. While the migration won't be in the Mara in January, there are resident wildebeest herds and plenty of other game year-round.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

nicmeljones - nah i don't want them - busy that weekend I think!! ;o)

you probably won't even be able to give them away!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

I'll put them on eBay & keep my fingers crossed. I wouldn't want to waste them :-(

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

I have been to governors a couple of times in January and have had great game viewing. The grass is still short from the wildebeests visit which allows you to spot the game a lot easier.

Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

Thank you for your help. :-)

Derby
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone been to Govenors Camp in January?

I've been to The Governor's Camp in January - absolutely fantastic. You won't be disappointed. Excellent game viewing!

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics