We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari/Beach itinerary

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coventry
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safari/Beach itinerary

Hi guys,

Hoping for a bit of guidance. I am looking at booking a 7 night safari in Kenya (Masai Mara) followed by a week in Zanzibar on the beach in December next year for our honeymoon. I have included a full list of the accomodation below. The company we are looking at booking with is luxury-safaris.co.uk and are charging £3,100 per person for this trip. Can anybody tell me;

A - If the accomodation is nice (from experience)?

B - If this price is a good one?

C - If they have dealt with this agent (as there is very limited information online)

Safari accomodation

1 night Aberdares (Outspan): www.aberdaresafarihotels.com/soft3.php?id=24

2 nights Samburu (Ashnil Samburu Camp): http://www.ashnilhotels.com/samburu/index.asp

1 night Aberdares (Mountain Lodge): luxury-safaris.co.uk/serena-mountain-lodge.a…

1 night Lake Naivasha (Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge): luxury-safaris.co.uk/lake-naivash-simba-lodg…

2 nights Masai Mara (Ashnil Mara Camp): www.ashnilhotels.com/masaimara/index.asp

Zanaibar beach accomodation

7 nights - http://lagemmadellest.diamonds-resorts.com/

Any recomendations will be greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Nairobi
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

Hi, well I certainly dont call those places Luxury, like the name of the Operator! In fact they are the larger more packagy places, and I would suggest you find another itinerary if you can within that budget, which I think you can do.

The Tree hotel Treetops from the base hotel Outspan (dont stay at Outspan) is ok, but then avoid Ashnil in Samburu - try Larsens; same in Mara avoid Ashnil and try somewhere smaller and more closer to the environment.

In Zanzibar there is a lot of choice.

Sorry, but I would like to see something more exciting and exclusive for your honeymoon!

Dresden, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

Hi as Alan said,outspan is like a 3star lodge.So NO way you r gonna be there on ur honeymoon.Serena's Mountain lodge,Treetops lodge,The Ark... are all good places you should sleep at while there.I have been to Sweet waters and it is paradise with the chimpanzees...Oh!!The Treetops is actually built on Tree tops...check it out on internet.

For Maasai Mara,try Keekorok or Sarova Lodges.

The price is quite reasonable but that would be because the lodges are not 5 stars..

I would reccomend you talk to Purity of www.sunagetrails.com.She did wonders for us.Really

Otherwise,I wish you all the best on your Kenyan Honeymoon

coventry
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

Thanks guys, appreciate your replies!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

I have a friend from US who is regular visitor to Kenya & was full of praise for the THE ARK....

She has stayed @ the other lodges & found The Ark better than other lodges..

In Naivasha: have a look @ Chui Lodge + Kongoni Lodge.

Stef.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

Certainly Chui Lodge in Naivasha is much better, but so is the price!

Not sure if Steve has sorted his honeymoon now!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

La Gemma de`ll est is the best choice for Honeymooners.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

Those sure aren't "luxe" properties as reflected in the price. For certain the agent hasn't given you only the Masai Mara and the areas shown entail some very long drives.

Outspan/Treetops sure isn't luxe, rather 3*. If in that area of Aberdares or better Mt. Kenya, consider on the Ol Pejeta Conservancy,staying at the private house. This will give you the same game viewing and night game drives and chimps as if staying even at Sweetwaters. Though Sweetwaters is nicer than Outspan/Treetops. But, if you really want to stop at Aberdares, I'd go with The Ark.

At Lake Naivasha, Chui Lodge is in the luxe category and if you stay 2/nts, you can do a daytrip to Lake Nakuru. Chui is much nicer than Simba... ugh!

At Samburu, consider Elephant Bedroom, Larsen's or Intrepid's.

And, at the Masai Mara - Ashnil is a "no-no" for many reasons, especially that it was build on rhino territory even after worldwide protests. It's a large camp, lots of concrete and razor wire surrounding the place and a big gate that screams "keep out."

There are many small intimate camps in the Mara as Royal Mara, Karen Blixen, Porini Lion, Entim; larger camps could be Kichwa Tembo, Governor's, Intrepid's; more expensive still would be Serian (where you have own private vehicle), Olonana, Elephant Pepper, Mara Plains, Saruni. Though Serian provides private vehicle, these others rarely have more than 4/paxs total in vehicle for game drives.

But with only 7/days for safari, why not just 2 or 3 stops (where you'll have the best game viewing) and fly. While "fly" can often seem more expensive, not always. And, if you want "luxe" then select such lodges/camps.

Consider:

Day 1 - Fly to Nanyuki - o/n Ol Pejeta Private Conservancy, private house

Day 2 - Fly to Samburu - o/n Larsen's, Intrepid's, Elephant Bedroom or a bit more luxe at Saruni or SaSaab Camps

Day 3 - Samburu - o/n (as above)

Day 4 - Fly to Masai Mara - o/n Elephant Pepper, Mara Plains, Naibor, Olonana, Saruni or Serian (where you have own private vehicle), or if less expensive: Entim, Karen Blixen, Porini Lion, Royal Mara

Days 5 & 6 - Masai Mara - o/n (as above)

Day 7 - Fly to Zanzibar* - o/n Pongwe Beach, Blue Bay, Matemwe Bungalows/Main, Ras Nungwi, Z Hotel and many many others

*You will need another Visa for Tanzania which you can purchase on arrival, and also a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry. Why not just stay on the Kenyan coast, south at Diani Beach or north at Lamu Island... both ideal for remoteness and romance.

NB - LaGemma mentioned above is very large hotel with over 100/rooms and lots of families.

And remember, if traveling over Christmas, expect higher prices and holiday surcharges for Christmas and New Years days.

Good luck!

8. Re: Safari/Beach itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics