We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
648 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

From what I have read on this forum, the wait for obtaining a visa at the airport should not be too long. Has anyone had issues with obtaining a visa at the airport?

Is the visa fee of $50 for U.S. and non U.S. citizens? Is this fee multi or single entry? If this fee is single entry, can anyone tell me whether we will need another visa when we fly from Kilimanjaro back to Nairobi for our return home flight? W will not leave the airport but will have to get our bags from baggage claim and go to a different airline counter to check in for the international flight.

Do we need to bring our own passport photos?

Thanks for the info!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

US$50 for NON Us Passports. Not sure about US.

$100 in Tanzania plus Yellow Fever Certificate.

Qs are Ok we were through in a few minutes last month. Technically a single entry but valid for side trips to other EAC countries.

In any event you don't need another if just transiting NBO.

No Photographs. Your face is in the Passport.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Our VISA in August at NBO was $50 (American citizens). They didn't take my photo at entry for some reason, but did upon my return from TZ.

Single entry was all we needed with just the one trip outside of Kenya to TZ.

>>>W will not leave the airport but will have to get our bags from baggage claim and go to a different airline counter to check in for the international flight.<<<

See if your departing airline can check your bags all the way through to your final destination so as to avoide the pickup and checking back in. I was able to do that on two different airlines (Delta & British Air) on my departure out of the US.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Thru checked/tags bags departing the US is easily done.

While the bags maybe tagged from ZNZ via NBO onto USA, you will likely have to collect them on arrival NBO to recheck for your international flight homebound.

Visa cost for US paxs is USD$50/person Kenya; USD$100/person Tanzania along with Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

we got a visa on arrival no problems last week. Waited half an hour or so which I didn't think was too bad. The "already got visa" queue was a similar length. No photos. Download the form(s) from the embassy before you go though to save time so you can go straight to the queue. You will need to fill in an "arrival card" as well as the visa application form, bit tedious because basically same info on both.

On your return your first port of call should be to try and get luggage through -checked, I know people who managed this despite flying on two different tickets. Failing that in theory you need to get a transit visa and do the same queue again - transit visa is $10. However my agent told me that if you can't get luggage through-checked and you are travelling on kenya airways go to the kenya airways transit desk in the departure area (where you will end up when you get off the first plane) to get your boarding card for the next flight and show them your baggage tag for your bags and one of them will go and find your bag and check it in for you! I was ominous about this but I know this method has worked for others too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Upon arrival at NBO we were confronted with booths that said "WITH VISA' and "WITHOUT VISA". It made no difference, At least when we arrived at 2am. It was no hassle. Took perhaps 15-20 min. Our fingerprints were elctronically recorded and we were photographed (you may not notice this). We recieved a beautiful full page visa for $50 each and were on our way to collect our baggage and customs.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

For US citizens - $50 cash, no photo. Reality is that it takes the baggage forever so the wait is about the same. The visa is valid for 3 months and lets you travel between Kenya & TZ. Be sure to check which airport you are returning to - JKIA or Wilson.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Custom,

Pardon - 'lets you travel between Kenya & TZ', care to qualify that one?

The photo at the desk seems to fall into the norm of Africa; if they take they take it, if they don't, they don't! As always, the systems are there, whether they are used is as always a little arbitrary.

GJ

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Just to clarify, when buying on arrival you do not need a passport photo, as they usually take a digital photo of you and a Visa to Kenya or one of the other EAC countries allows you to make a short visit to another EAC country and return on the same single trip visa

Custom seems to have just joined and made a series of posts that re-iterate what as already been said. presumably to publish the name of the company, as they have added little value

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

Doff,

I was tempted to comment on that too; though thought 'give 'em enough rope'.

GJ

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Obtaining a visa at JKIA Nairobi Airport (NBO)

<<a Visa to Kenya or one of the other EAC countries allows you to make a short visit to another EAC country and return on the same single trip visa>>

Not sure you are totally correct here Doff. There has been 'talk' for years for an EAC Visa but I don't think it has seen light of day everywhere.

Kenyan Visa will let you back in, after a visit to other EAC but a TZ Visa expires as you cross the border and you need a new one each visit.

It was the same last year with my Victoria cirumnavigation. I had two Uganda visas.

One day soon maybe?