We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping on Safari

Which Masai Mara National Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coto de Caza...
10 posts
Save Topic
Tipping on Safari

My family is traveling to the Masai Mara next week and we are trying to figure how much cash to bring. We will be staying at Little Governor's Camp. What is the appropriate amount to tip? Also do we tip just our guide? And when? Is it a daily thing or all at once at the end of our stay? I heard that US dollars is ok to use. Need a little help on tipping etiquette.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping on Safari

There are many threads on this subject. Suggest you do a search in the box above under the words 'tipping on safari' and read thru the comments of how much, when, who.

The comments will vary, as everyone has their own idea of the appropriate amounts, so you'll have to decide what works best for you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping on Safari

The properties will advise you on their preference for the staff. We found that most preferred a lump sum for the entire staff at the end of the stay with the guide tipped separately.

We did that for the most part.. but we also tipped a little extra to the chefs because I have a lot of allergies and my meals required a lot more attention.

I agree that there is tons of info on tipping right here

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping on Safari

Don't forget to tip the cooking crew if you take the balloon ride+champagne bf.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping on Safari

Well as far as tipping is concerned,I think you tip just because you liked the services you were offered by the driver,guide,cook.What you should put in mind is that tipping is not a must.you can tip any amount how much small you you have,it is out of your free will.Even 5 to 15 U$ is not bad

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping on Safari

zetjet - see the FAQ on the right hand side of this page "who should I tip and how much" - that should give you a good base to work on.

Leesburg
Level Contributor
88 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping on Safari

Will they take american $$ for a tip?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping on Safari

you would be better tipping them in Kenyan Shillings otherwise they have trouble changing it.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping on Safari

Many people tip in USD, GBP and Euro for tips to guides, lodge/camp staff.

Unless visitors withdraw sufficient Ksh on arrival to cover all tips they'll require for the duration, most use their home currency for this purpose.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping on Safari

Please don't tip in Euros or GB Pounds using coins as the local people cannot change coins at the bank.

Whilst in Kenya recently we had spent about an hour walking around the lodge grounds chatting to one of the security guards when he asked us if we could help him with a problem he had. He then produced 6 £1 coins and asked if we would change them into Kenyan shillings for him which of course we did. He said that people quite often tipped him using foreign coins which he can't change at the bank. He said his only option was then to wait until he felt he could approach someone who would understand his problem and ask them to help him out.

So if you are going to tip staff please use local currency (or if you have to then American dollars) but don't use Euros/Sterling especially coins.

Also if anyone approaches you to change small amounts of coins then please help them out. This security guard was very grateful for our help.

new jersey
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping on Safari

Hi You can buy ksh at Chase in N. Y. 200 dollars worth will get you going. When you arrive use ATM,s to get more. This way you dont need to carry a lot of cash. The Barclay Bank machines dont charge for use and I think there is one at the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Masai Mara National...
More Masai Mara National Reserve Topics